flint find new england

kiddfinder

Sep 28, 2013
eastern seaboard and eastern inland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have researched only to find no definitive answer to a good source of flint in New England. I mention this because my daughter and I, while exploring river origins found a large white chalky looking round stone in a river which stood out from the other rocks. The stone was slightly larger than a basketball, and after striking it with a rock hammer it shattered into large jagged pieces and shards of flint. Has anyone else in New England gound knappaple deposits of flint like this in the New England area?
We have also found large quartz and mica formations with visible Au inclusions which tested positive. Has anyone else in New England found deposits like this? One area was centered around an area with a past associated with heat and acedic conditions, the other with lots of iron and limestone (seabed/ocean floor/ coral reef) conditions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
016.JPG 016.JPG I know nothing of the New England area, but I can tell you what we have here in MO. I found these "eggs in a lime deposit in a new road cut. The broken ones by them were chert.
It would really help to have a picture. You would probably get more responses.
good luck with future hunting, & keep taking your daughter with you. My daughters are both adults now, but still love to hunt rocks with me.
hmm, sorry for the double pic, can't seem to get rid of it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions