226.3 KB · Views: 125

Rockhunter1620

Feb 1, 2012
S.E. Mi.
Detector(s) used
F-75 S.E.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like you've located a small exposed pegmatite outcrop, beryl is almost always a by-product of feldspar and mica mining. Better well known for bein the
gem stones emerald and aquamarine. Trace elements chromium and vanadium cause the green to blueish green coloring and all can be faceted, even the smallest
crystals, it has a hardness of 8. No major or large deposits have ever been found but a single 220 ton crystal was discovered in Brazil some years ago as well as
another large 19 ft. X5 ft. crystal in S. Dakota. The other variations are morganite, Goshenite, and Heliodor but are all the same chemically (Be3Al3Si6O18 ).
If'n you pile enough of it up you can get paid for it, it does have decent value. Very cool!:thumbsup:

RH

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rockhoundrich

rockhoundrich

Jun 3, 2012
Redlands CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep we are just at the top of the dyke and working our way down we have been working this site for about 2 years and have pulled around 6lbs of beryl with only around 100kts faccetable the rest has been specimin only thanks for the write up

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I can add to Rockhunter1620 list of US beryl finds. New Mexico listed a number of counties that had produced the mineral. One in particular was a new record in June 1955 at the Rocking Horse Mine in Santa Fe county. It measured 5 feet long and 9-10 inches in diameter. Source: Northrop UNM Press

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Several different colors of Beryl can be found just outside of Burnsville, NC at an old Mica Mine in the National Forest! A 25 pound Aquamarine specimen found there in the 1950's by one of the workers in the mine holes, now resides in the Smithsonian and is said to be the largest specimen ever found in North America. I knew the gentleman that found it as I used to Gem prospect the mine and he lived beside the entrance. He was a drinker and told me that he sold the specimen for two bottles of liquor and 25 dollars. He passed away I believe in 1998 and I have not been back to the mine since. I really loved sitting on his' porch with him and talk about the mine and other things! He lost a brother in an accident at another Mica Mine just across the mountain from this mine and no Beryl was ever found at it.

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As a faceter I'd love to see the facet grade material!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is no "set" price. It's a matter of negotiation.

However, specimens prices are based on condition (damage etc) and aesthetic properties as well as rarity and locale where it was mined. Some mines only produced so and so many - equals higher price.

While facet grade prices are more a matter of colour, clarity and size/weight. Of course what material and rarity matters to.
There is a kind of "market price" for facet grade material.

RH, those look quite neat. Do you know if it is Aquamarine or green beryl?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rockhoundrich

rockhoundrich

Jun 3, 2012
Redlands CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its green beryl im quite sure of it no hint of blue like in the other regions near this appears mostly influenced by Fe3

Upvote 0

timberjack

Sep 29, 2013
New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where would I find a market for beryl? We have a bunch of it in a mine I am working on a friends property. There is a lot of it in the old tailings pile,,we could walk the excavator down there a look around a little,,but,,we would need a market. Any suggestions would be appricated

Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
I would suggest a trip to a local gem and mineral show.
If there isn't a buyer there then the other vendors should be able to give you some leads on who buys what in your area.
Tuscon gem and mineral show is the biggest. People buying and selling all over town.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can find a market where there are faceters or other people in the gem trade. Now to find those, that's your challenge. ;)

RH, aqua often has a greenish-blue colour before heating. A lot of blue aqua is heated.
If the area is dominated by iron-related rocks I'd guess aqua.

Green beryl is coloured by Vanadium or Chrome.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread