Weird Magnetic Rock

Nov 1, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello I have never posted before but have read many posts in the different forums. I have always enjoyed visiting this site and have learned quite a bit.
I need help to identify a weird rock that I found in the woods on my property. I found this rock with my metal detector. It is a very heavy rock, for its size. I was curious about it because it set my metal detector off. I have read about hot rocks before but cannot find any examples that look like this rock. I hit it with a hammer to break it open. It broke fairly easily, more easily than a quartz rock. Inside there are many colors, streaks of a reddish color, streaks of yellow and a weird purple blob in one corner (on the inside). On the outside it looks like any common rock except for the angular squarish shape. I tried doing some tests on it. I ground up some of it and panned the material to try and see if there was possibly gold in it. There are some tiny specks of what seems like gold that stays on the bottom. It is very magnetic. Magnets will stick to it and when I ground some of it up there was a fine mostly black powder that stuck to the metal screwdriver I used. Any help, opinions or ideas would be greatly apprecieted!
The first picture is what it originally looked like before I broke it. The second two photos show the inside with the purple coloration in the top corners. The third photo is a smaller piece that broke off one side and shows the inside with gold or fools gold specks.

2013-11-02 00.06.12-1.jpg 2013-11-02 00.07.09-1.jpg 2013-11-02 00.07.35-1.jpg 2013-11-02 00.08.46-1.jpg

OP
OP
S
Nov 1, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, no replies... I guess no one has any ideas, suggestions or opinions about this rock. It is kind of hard for me to believe that 65 views to this post have occured yet no one has any thing at all to say. Thats just about as weird as this rock. Especially since I have read many posts on this site and have learned from everyone's posts. Yet there is nothing to learn here...interesting...

Upvote 0

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to guess the purple material was lepidolite, but I'd have to see close up pictures.

Definitely sounds like there is a lot of magnetite in that rock. It can make a detector beep.

Upvote 0

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, no replies... I guess no one has any ideas, suggestions or opinions about this rock. It is kind of hard for me to believe that 65 views to this post have occured yet no one has any thing at all to say. Thats just about as weird as this rock. Especially since I have read many posts on this site and have learned from everyone's posts. Yet there is nothing to learn here...interesting...

Snative, yeah I have that happen to my post too sometimes. I just think some people that view my post just don't know how to respond because they don't know the answer so I keep waiting till someone comes along and replys to my post that has a idea of what I am trying to ask and that makes sense to me. As for your rock there is some here in va on my farm I have found that look about the same and my MD will go off. May have some quartz in your rock because not all quartz is clear. But it is interesting with all the minerals in it.

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your appears to be iron rich ,i would say your gold like flecks are pyrite, if you can get a piece big enough to hang on to try and streak it across the (unglazed) portion of a ceramic tile,if pyrite you will have a black streak,if gold it would be gold streak,the magnetic black dust is likly magnetite ,hematite or some other (iron ore)iron comes in several forms,look to see if on the surface if any of your goldish flecks have a (halo) of rust or blackish,pyrite oxidises just like pure iron,if no gold flecks on surface but some rust halos ,this is likely why.i.e old surface. loco

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread