curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always wanted an Alexandrite, finally got one...not the best one & small, but finally got it at a gem show a few years back. These pic's aren't the best but wanted to share, anyone have one? The color change isn't so good, took pic's in outside & inside lighting. DSCN2304.JPG DSCN2306.JPG RSCN2316.JPG The smallest one is the alexandrite. Always liked this ring....Island sunset!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I only have synthetic alexandrite, those cut ones tend to be darn expensive otherwise.

I do like colour shifting gems though, like this garnet below.

Natural light:

Incandescent light:

The colours in the pictures are pretty accurate.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I also like the one's that change color. Since I was a child I had a synthetic Alexandrite that I loved, still have it! I guess that's why I wanted a "real" one. They are expensive, that's why the one I have is small, not to mention the ones that change from red to green cost $$$. lol Your garnet is pretty!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, as a gemcutter (hobbyist) I do see some neat stuff on occasion. I'll be cutting some Swedish flourite soon, very rare in facet grade!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, be sure and post a picture so we can see it EU, sounds like it will be nice!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my Tanzanite at a gem show in CA....no problem, but that was a few years ago. Don't know about now? (whoops :O.... just noticed I misspelled it in my heading, sorry)

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most gemstones are acquired through brokers unless you can travel and buy in the country it's mined.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, fun show! There use to be one about Meteorites to, wonder what happened to it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yah...those guys who travel around...miss them. Have a nice Thanksgiving tomorrow NJ :)

Upvote 0

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are nice curious cat! I love the color changers, too! Thanks for sharing.
I have a matching pair of synthetics, small ovals. When I'm able to get to them, I'll get some pics.
Eu, I have always appreciated and enjoy you and your works! :notworthy:

Years ago, I was mding after our Air & See show on Ft Laud beach. You wanna talk TRASH CITY! Well,
I passed and didn't dig what I assumed was trash, from the sound and I saw the Ziploc baggie with tinfoil in it, half stuffed in the sand.
I go on down, come back about n hour later, I think it was the Bulgarian(or another foreign fella I see around here), he was right where I had been with another guy. The guys telling him, his wife lost her wedding set "right there" where I had been! :BangHead:

He pulled up a vintage looking wedding ring with a natural Alexandrite, over 2 carats! It was NICE!
The wedding band was about 4 mm, burnished diamonds!
Man, that bit me so bad! I've never not dug a signal since! :BangHead: :laughing7:
He was gladly paid a few hundred, also! I was at least glad I got to see it, It was beautiful!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Pat....WoW , that's some story! Sounds like a very, very nice stone, would have liked to see it, you're lucky you did! Yes...be sure to post yours, love me some Alexandrite's, real or not!!! Even though mine is natural, it's so small and the color change could be better....but it's mine, all mine! lol......Hope you have a nice Turkey day Pat :)

Upvote 0

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Pat....WoW , that's some story! Sounds like a very, very nice stone, would have liked to see it, you're lucky you did! Yes...be sure to post yours, love me some Alexandrite's, real or not!!! Even though mine is natural, it's so small and the color change could be better....but it's mine, all mine! lol......Hope you have a nice Turkey day Pat :)

Happy to Turkeys for everyone

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread