Could this be lamproite/kimberlite.

wilfndgold

Aug 29, 2013
perris, ca
Detector(s) used
garret
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You cant see em to good in this pic but theres several little clear gems in it. or could they be little pieces of Quartz? Found it near the skarn pocket I found.......Anybody? PB231537.JPG

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm guessing it's not. If kimberlite you should see some pyrope, and chrome diopside crysts in it. One red, the other green. How are things down in Perris? I rode in the big motorcycle race down there in 1970-71. I also did some TT racing at the track there. Haven't been there in about 40 years. Ha ha...now that I think about it, I guess the big race was at Elsinore. The Grand Prix. Maybe I am getting old...LOL
Jim

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I understand it, Kimberlite is always blue, blue/green in color.

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As I understand it, Kimberlite is always blue, blue/green in color.
Nope...sometimes it's gray, and the blue, or green in it is often just a shade, or tone. Also lamproite can be tan, or buff-colored as easy as gray/blue.
Jim

Upvote 0

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope...sometimes it's gray, and the blue, or green in it is often just a shade, or tone. Also lamproite can be tan, or buff-colored as easy as gray/blue.
Jim

I certainly can't dispute what you say. I have been in two Kimberlite Tube Areas and they were distinctly blue in color. One, the Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas, I've been there several times. The other was in Utah but I can't recall the name of the area.

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I certainly can't dispute what you say. I have been in two Kimberlite Tube Areas and they were distinctly blue in color. One, the Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas, I've been there several times. The other was in Utah but I can't recall the name of the area.
Here's a nice 3.8 carat chunk of chromian diopside I found in Wyoming last summer. The gray stuck to it, here and there, is the kimberlite matrix that the CD came out of.
PA050005_01.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Johnny, I sure wish you could remember where you were in Utah. There are diamonds there somewhere......probably near the southern ramparts of the Uintas. Maybe northwest of Vernal.
I think the pipe at Crater of Diamonds is lamproite, rather than kimberlite. There are actually a couple of different pipes there, very close together. That's why the soil they get the diamonds from has different colors.
Jim

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnny, I sure wish you could remember where you were in Utah. There are diamonds there somewhere......probably near the southern ramparts of the Uintas. Maybe northwest of Vernal.
I think the pipe at Crater of Diamonds is lamproite, rather than kimberlite. There are actually a couple of different pipes there, very close together. That's why the soil they get the diamonds from has different colors.
Jim

This was about 25 years ago. I recall the Crater of Diamonds because I have been there four times over the years. The time in Utah, I was with a couple of friends that were into gem hunting. We were on a trip to Las Vegas (driving) and they stopped in Colorado for a couple of days. We went into the mountains gem hunting. Again, I do not recall where we were but it was an area not far off of Rte 80 and not too far from Denver. As I recall the area in Utah was also not very far off of Rte 80 but a good ways before you reach the Salt Lake City Area.

They/We did find some keeper gems/crystals in Colorado but nothing in Utah.

Upvote 0

Time41

Jun 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was about 25 years ago. I recall the Crater of Diamonds because I have been there four times over the years. The time in Utah, I was with a couple of friends that were into gem hunting. We were on a trip to Las Vegas (driving) and they stopped in Colorado for a couple of days. We went into the mountains gem hunting. Again, I do not recall where we were but it was an area not far off of Rte 80 and not too far from Denver. As I recall the area in Utah was also not very far off of Rte 80 but a good ways before you reach the Salt Lake City Area.

They/We did find some keeper gems/crystals in Colorado but nothing in Utah.

This makes a lot of sense to possible Kimberley pipes due to the amount of super volcanoes recorded in that area. It ha a lot of mines 15 miles north of Veyo utah which that towns has the best pies talk about striking it rich.

Upvote 0

Ddiamond Digger

Oct 16, 2012
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi
This is what Kimberlite looks like.
DD
Hi Jim!

Attachments

• IMG_20170720_094814.jpg
    IMG_20170720_094814.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Perfect pic for the definition of kimberlite. Is that you, Andy? If so, hope all is well with you. Heidi and I miss seeing your smiling face. She had a great time out in the desert today, but I didn't find much. Still, it was a nice day to be out there, but cold.
Jim

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We'll count on that, Andy. I need to get back to Wyoming in any case.
Jim

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You younger, or inexperienced diamond prospectors have a great resource with Ddiamond Digger onboard. He has decades of experience in diamonds and diamond prospecting. If you have questions, now is the time to ask them, and he's the guy to answer them. Pay attention to his answers.
Jim

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread