New member needs help identifying rock - agate?

Dec 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found several of these similar rocks on the banks of the Meramec river in St. Louis, MO and I have cut one with a rock cutter. The one I cut proved to be a very pretty, though not very colorful agate with many bands, but mostly milky white/pearlescent.

before I go cutting these that I found recently, I wanted to see if anyone could help me identify them as agates or just tumbled pieces of Chert that are commonly found in this area. Also, I wanted to know if there is a right way to handle these rocks for display. Do I slab them; bust them with a hammer; tumble them; grind them; etc.?

Thank you in advance.

Tom Enemy Mine flesh ag II.jpg Enemy Mine flesh ag I.jpg

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I don't know more...but it's pretty and does have a agate look to it....welcome to the site though!

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They sure look like banded agate to me. If you have the saw take a few slices, it's the only way to get to see if there are any beautiful patterns inside. Slices will also allow you to see the translucence of the pattern within. First take a slice from what looks like may be the best direction and then take another at 90 degrees from the first just to see that you are going to get the best slices. 1/4" is a good slab/slice thickness for display or possible future cabachon making.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread