Need Suggestions On A Quality Rock Tumbler!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By tatswell
  • 1 Post By tatswell
  • 1 Post By Bajahunter
  • 1 Post By tatswell

Thread: Need Suggestions On A Quality Rock Tumbler!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2013
    Henderson, Nevada
    Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
    55 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Need Suggestions On A Quality Rock Tumbler!

I am thinking of getting a Rock Tumbler, I prefer new but may consider used. Also, I don't want one that really small, more towards what would be considered a medium size, serious hobby tumbler. Suggestions on Brands and Models will be appreciated.

Any comments from your experiences will be appreciated.
    Active Member - (GPAA) Gold Prospectors Association of America & (GSSN) Gold Searchers of Southern Nevada

A real man only needs five things in his life, Women, Whiskey, Beer, Beans & Bacon!!!

us
    Complete Amateur

Nov 2013
    Connecticut
    6 times
    Lortone, Inc is a a reliable and top notch company. Quality tumblers.
    Raytech is good too
    JohnnyFlake likes this.

us
    Sep 2013
    Henderson, Nevada
    Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
    55 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tatswell View Post
    Lortone, Inc is a a reliable and top notch company. Quality tumblers.
    Raytech is good too
    Thanks for the heads-up. A few people I have talked with also suggested Lortone.

The other part of my question and maybe you can help, is what size should I get? I don't want to get one that's too small but I don't want one that's too large for my needs. I know that there are 3lb., 4lb., 6lb., 12lb., and 15lb., that would fall into a hobbyist class. There is also one that I was not aware of until last night that uses two 3lb. drums.
    Active Member - (GPAA) Gold Prospectors Association of America & (GSSN) Gold Searchers of Southern Nevada

A real man only needs five things in his life, Women, Whiskey, Beer, Beans & Bacon!!!

us
    Complete Amateur

Nov 2013
    Connecticut
    6 times
    Depends on you- on how often you'll use it, how much you will use, and what you want to spend. With the smaller ones you have to be careful of overloading it.
    JohnnyFlake likes this.

us
    Mar 2011
    107 times
    I like my Lot-O-Tumbler. Very fast.
    Cheap tumblers are just that, cheap. Do not buy a hobby tumbler at the local mall. Get a heavy duty one, twice the money up front but 10+ times the life span.
    JohnnyFlake likes this.

us
    Sep 2013
    Henderson, Nevada
    55 times
    I'd like to thank the few of you, who spent a moment and helped with your thoughts. Thank You Guys!!!

Based on some of the suggestions I received, I did a fair amount of research, after which, I decided the best possible unit for me, considering the volume that can be handled and the cost of operating loads, etc. I decided that the following was the best possible purchase. I ordered this today:

Lortone Model QT 66
    Twin Barrels - 6 lb Capacity each - lortone rock tumbler

$189.00

Lortone Tumbler - Model QT66
    UL listed Motor
    Molded Rubber Barrel's with sure-seal closure
    Twin 6 Lb. Capacity Barrel's
    Dimensions are 3 5/8" tall by 6 3/4" in diameter, ea. barrel
    Limited One Year Warranty by Manufacturer
    for parts and labor

It's the 6th unit down on this page: Lortone rotary rock tumbler, rock polishers, Lortone Parts

us
    Complete Amateur

Nov 2013
    Connecticut
    6 times
    Good choice
    JohnnyFlake likes this.

Nov 2013
    63 times
    I'm limited on space and noise can be a problem, so I use a pair of vibrating Lot-o-tumblers in the three pound range. Compact and quiet, but not very good for shaping or taking a lot of the mass off a rock if it has semi-deep flaws. Really, really good for polishing fast, though.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    Some where out there
    Equinox 800 / XP Deus / ORX
    8515 times
    Years ago I had the top of the line tumbler for jewel castings. Later I bought a high end vibrating one that I did not like. Now I'm in the market for a twin tub tumbler for coins.
    The best bet is the Harbor Freight Twin barrel tumbler for $49.00! Your items won't know the difference between the high priced one and the lower cost one! Good Luck!
    Oil the rollers each time you use it and replace the belt with a hoover belt and it should last if not overloading it. Stay a pound under. If this doesn't work for you then Lortone it is!
    Dual Drum Rotary Rock Tumbler
    Last edited by RustyGold; Dec 14, 2013 at 08:52 PM.

us
    Sep 2013
    Henderson, Nevada
    55 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyGold View Post
    Years ago I had the top of the line tumbler for jewel castings. Later I bought a high end vibrating one that I did not like. Now I'm in the market for a twin tub tumbler for coins.
    The best bet is the Harbor Freight Twin barrel tumbler for $49.00! Your items won't know the difference between the high priced one and the lower cost one! Good Luck!
    Oil the rollers each time you use it and replace the belt with a hoover belt and it should last if not overloading it. Stay a pound under. If this doesn't work for you then Lortone it is!
    Dual Drum Rotary Rock Tumbler
    Thanks for the advice my friend, however, as I stated above I already had ordered the Lortone Dual 6lb Drum Unit. However, the 6Lb Drums do take a lot of material and now I can see the benefit of have a smaller unit as well. Therefore, I will be considering the Harbor Freight Dual 3lb Drum Unit. The price with shipping is amazingly reasonable, under $60

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links