Need Suggestions On A Quality Rock Tumbler!

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
J

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lortone, Inc is a a reliable and top notch company. Quality tumblers.
Raytech is good too

Thanks for the heads-up. A few people I have talked with also suggested Lortone.

The other part of my question and maybe you can help, is what size should I get? I don't want to get one that's too small but I don't want one that's too large for my needs. I know that there are 3lb., 4lb., 6lb., 12lb., and 15lb., that would fall into a hobbyist class. There is also one that I was not aware of until last night that uses two 3lb. drums.

Upvote 0

tatswell

Nov 24, 2013
Connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on you- on how often you'll use it, how much you will use, and what you want to spend. With the smaller ones you have to be careful of overloading it.

Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
I like my Lot-O-Tumbler. Very fast.
Cheap tumblers are just that, cheap. Do not buy a hobby tumbler at the local mall. Get a heavy duty one, twice the money up front but 10+ times the life span.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to thank the few of you, who spent a moment and helped with your thoughts. Thank You Guys!!!

Based on some of the suggestions I received, I did a fair amount of research, after which, I decided the best possible unit for me, considering the volume that can be handled and the cost of operating loads, etc. I decided that the following was the best possible purchase. I ordered this today:

Lortone Model QT 66
Twin Barrels - 6 lb Capacity each - lortone rock tumbler

$189.00

Lortone Tumbler - Model QT66
UL listed Motor
Molded Rubber Barrel's with sure-seal closure
Twin 6 Lb. Capacity Barrel's
Dimensions are 3 5/8" tall by 6 3/4" in diameter, ea. barrel
Limited One Year Warranty by Manufacturer
for parts and labor

It's the 6th unit down on this page: Lortone rotary rock tumbler, rock polishers, Lortone Parts

Upvote 0

JLeonhardy

Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm limited on space and noise can be a problem, so I use a pair of vibrating Lot-o-tumblers in the three pound range. Compact and quiet, but not very good for shaping or taking a lot of the mass off a rock if it has semi-deep flaws. Really, really good for polishing fast, though.

Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Years ago I had the top of the line tumbler for jewel castings. Later I bought a high end vibrating one that I did not like. Now I'm in the market for a twin tub tumbler for coins.
The best bet is the Harbor Freight Twin barrel tumbler for $49.00! Your items won't know the difference between the high priced one and the lower cost one! Good Luck!
Oil the rollers each time you use it and replace the belt with a hoover belt and it should last if not overloading it. Stay a pound under. If this doesn't work for you then Lortone it is!
Dual Drum Rotary Rock Tumbler

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago I had the top of the line tumbler for jewel castings. Later I bought a high end vibrating one that I did not like. Now I'm in the market for a twin tub tumbler for coins.
The best bet is the Harbor Freight Twin barrel tumbler for $49.00! Your items won't know the difference between the high priced one and the lower cost one! Good Luck!
Oil the rollers each time you use it and replace the belt with a hoover belt and it should last if not overloading it. Stay a pound under. If this doesn't work for you then Lortone it is!
Dual Drum Rotary Rock Tumbler

Thanks for the advice my friend, however, as I stated above I already had ordered the Lortone Dual 6lb Drum Unit. However, the 6Lb Drums do take a lot of material and now I can see the benefit of have a smaller unit as well. Therefore, I will be considering the Harbor Freight Dual 3lb Drum Unit. The price with shipping is amazingly reasonable, under $60

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread