Some more rocks i dug from my vein yesterday to share.

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some are washed some are not and still on the tailgate of my hound truck. Comments welcome about any of them would be great. Thanks. melvin christmas dinner 001.JPG melvin christmas dinner 005.JPG melvin christmas dinner 009.JPG melvin christmas dinner 014.JPG melvin christmas dinner 016.JPG melvin christmas dinner 017.JPG melvin christmas dinner 020.JPG Wife says I am crazy bringing all these rocks home and then grabs the shovel and says lets go get some more and I told her they may not be worth nothing but we got them. Thanks to all of you and I love Treasure net.

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey freeman,the next one that may come out makes it worth while to me,the what if, and maybe the next one keeps me going back!keep digg n!

Upvote 0

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how long you've been at this, but crushing and panning some of those may surprise you. I have over a hundred 5 gal buckets of rocks like in your pics - love every one of em - can tell you exactly where each came from -some 20 years old. Hang in there, its a great hobby, and relatively cheap too !!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was going to suggest the same as Fullpan.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how long you've been at this, but crushing and panning some of those may surprise you. I have over a hundred 5 gal buckets of rocks like in your pics - love every one of em - can tell you exactly where each came from -some 20 years old. Hang in there, its a great hobby, and relatively cheap too !!

Thanks Fullpan, yeah The wife has always been collecting quartz that she would find on top of the ground but about 8 months ago we dug into a quartz vein with the tractor and it was more clear quartz but the vein we are digging now is not the wife's choice as these are not the specimen type stuff she likes but I love this stuff and some of it along with the Mica and Muscovite there may be something in it that might have value. I am 68 and cant do all I want to do anymore. Need a rock crusher and maybe I could empty some of my buckets and go get some more of this stuff as the soil and rock in this area are full of this stuff. Used to drive a truck and now I got this in my blood and love doing it and doubt I will ever quit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Loco, Just got some white rocks I busted from a large rock and the rock is so white and beautiful inside so I put it under a black light and it turned real pink. What is pink under a black light. If you know any info would be great and I posted a purple rock yesterday to dustedyou but I wanted you to check it out might be rubys in it. It glowed under the black light too. Did not glow very bright but red glow just the same. Thanks.

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more than likely,it is calcite, it glowsfrom ,pinks, to reds,depending on the traces of magneseium , but there are other minerals that fluresce ,now you see how some rocks are collectable . love to see some pics of it if you got um.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Fullpan, I like the Reed Lukens videos and how they take the time to show what is really going on.

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey freeman, just a note here, if you are now exploring the world of (uv prospecting),try taking a black light up to your dig sight, at night of course, but you may be in for a lil light show,also, i carry a small bar light, black light,battery operated,and when i am out on the creeks prospecting and what not i walk the gravel bars,or the steep cuts in bedrock, and try to see what (winks ) back at me,sometimes you would be very surprised, it is one of my tools that i dont leave home without!but if you are to get into you will want a book guide on uv prospecting, it is very fun, my kids love to do it ,its like a easteregg hunt at night.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment Calcite with minerals 003.JPG View attachment Calcite with minerals 003.JPG View attachment Calcite with minerals 004.JPG View attachment Calcite with minerals 007.JPG View attachment Calcite with minerals 012.JPG View attachment Calcite with minerals 015.JPG
more than likely,it is calcite, it glowsfrom ,pinks, to reds,depending on the traces of magneseium , but there are other minerals that fluresce ,now you see how some rocks are collectable . love to see some pics of it if you got um.

Ok Loco, here is a few pictures of the rocks I brought home yesterday And all these pieces came from the one host rock I busted near my digging area that was visable laying on top of the ground. The host rock is the big one on the tailgate of the truck and this whole rock has these yellow shiny stuff all through it. I think this is gold ore and through my loop it looks crystalline inside even the yellow minerals. The clear looking rock was laying on the ground close to it and the mineral in it looks to be dark green, maybe emerald. Get back to me and let me know what you think. Tried but cant put pictures on here right now so I will restart pc and try again so coming soon. Tried again, some reason cant post pictures wonder if anyone else is having this problem might be Tnet having a issue,Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the sight is having issues with pics,if you could try to repost those i would love to take a look!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment Calcite with minerals 003.JPG View attachment Calcite with minerals 003.JPG
hey freeman, just a note here, if you are now exploring the world of (uv prospecting),try taking a black light up to your dig sight, at night of course, but you may be in for a lil light show,also, i carry a small bar light, black light,battery operated,and when i am out on the creeks prospecting and what not i walk the gravel bars,or the steep cuts in bedrock, and try to see what (winks ) back at me,sometimes you would be very surprised, it is one of my tools that i dont leave home without!but if you are to get into you will want a book guide on uv prospecting, it is very fun, my kids love to do it ,its like a easteregg hunt at night.

Yeah Loco I know the grandkids would love that UV as my 6 year old granddaughter already wants to help me wash the rocks I bring home. I tried to post the pictures again tonight but still can't do it but I will when Tnet gets this problem fixed. You know PA isn't that far from me so we are neighbors in the rock world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes ,the world is small,but as gas prices climb, it seems to be getting bigger an bigger, in pa i have to travel to satisfy my (needs),not much gold, there area few gemys around my area, but nothing that blows my hair back ya know, so i get out a bit, and i love evrybit of it ,i have two trips planned real soon, one to the beach sands of lake erie,i built a new gate trap sluice that i am itching to try out,its for only classed material , or beach sands, real excited about that,then i am going to hopp down towards the mason dixon ,on the border in some southern countys, where i have chased a few flakes in the past,with what i learned while there then, and what i know now, i want to hit up a lil different game plan there, talking to a gentelman ,about premission, i need to spend a lil time an energy to do what i want ,i want to see what comes from a solid full day with decent set up, rather than just panning,there is a stream there where ive got color in every pan, but all i did was pan, testing around. short cheap trips!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is some great looking stuff, that greenish coloring, i would be inclined to say it is just inclusions of another mineral,generaly these hydrothermal intrusive will be mixed up, there could be beryl ,but look for strats in the quartz,this would mean that the cooling temps were right for the minerals to seperate and form actual crystals, those strats i speak of can be hair thin,or much thicker, but it is within those strats that (pockets) will form,and well developed crystals can form within these.but listen freeman, that quartz you are into is HIGHLY mineralized , and i would be very excited, when i have an issue with wanting to know what i am working with,i made a valuable frendship with the local geology professor,hes right in town,the trade off is he will take look at what i got,and help identify, and i give him locations of various outcrops,intrusives,that he can take his students to and they can see formations ,hands on. i would be more than happy to pass on one of your specimens,he will tell you whats in it, i have a a outcrop of jasper, and chert, to trade off for him, its pretty cool, but not something that i want anything to do with. if your inclined to do so hit me back i will see what he says for ya!he does take his time though,usualy a week or two.

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i see several indicators that you have somthing cool going on,1. those quartz pieces ,have several different mins in each specimen , and the more you show me the more i see,what has got me excited for you is,you are getting colorations of very distinct seperate mins,which is telling me that the (soup)deep down that pushed that quartz had lots of goodys in it, the slight colorations of the quartz means that it was carrying more than iron and silica,and the more it was carrying,means more of a chance for somthing good to be found!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i see several indicators that you have somthing cool going on,1. those quartz pieces ,have several different mins in each specimen , and the more you show me the more i see,what has got me excited for you is,you are getting colorations of very distinct seperate mins,which is telling me that the (soup)deep down that pushed that quartz had lots of goodys in it, the slight colorations of the quartz means that it was carrying more than iron and silica,and the more it was carrying,means more of a chance for somthing good to be found!

Loco these are very large rocks and parts of these rocks I can break with my hands and some I can't and the clearer quarts piece in the dark green piece I can see the colors of yellow, green, red and blue in certain spots without my loop but when I look at them with my loop they are so beautiful like a rainbow and the end of the dark green piece is real shiny and hard and looks to go almost half way down in to the quartz piece. Yes I will send you some of the pieces to take your friend anytime you want. There is so much yellow veins running through this stuff and yellow crystals in places too. Just PM me with where to send them and I will get them out in a few days or the next time I go to town. No need to send them back as I got plenty. Thanks a lot.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread