Sapphire madness

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Take it slow panning for sapphires - they aren't easy to catch!

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
There was a Gold Fever show back a ways that was in Wyoming (I think) mining sapphires. They were screening too but it still took the guy a while to "see" them.
Good luck and if your inclined to, let us know how you did.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a Gold Fever show back a ways that was in Wyoming (I think) mining sapphires. They were screening too but it still took the guy a while to "see" them.
Good luck and if your inclined to, let us know how you did.

I think the episode you are talking about was in Montana I saw that one too

Upvote 0

Nirros

Jan 8, 2012
Dexter, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
8.5x11
5x8
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just went through 2 gallons of gravel twice and found roughly 20 cwt of Sapphires......it was fun but man you have to be patient. a good led light underneath helped a great deal. I was told that there was no gold in my gravel due to the area of Montana it came from. after the new year i plan on ordering more.....I should add that i got the straight from the mine stuff....dirt and all with nothing added....guess im a man of chances

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a good question how do you calculate carats? I'm not sure how Carats are decided

Upvote 0

Nirros

Jan 8, 2012
Dexter, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
8.5x11
5x8
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i measured each one and used an online conversion tool. i have a caliper that measures mm. like i said its a rough estimate of raw stones.....

Upvote 0

Maximillion8

Jan 31, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my hobby - sapphire mining.
Very different from gold mining since most of sapphire is processing gravel, not dirt. Bought a bunch of the 30 lb gravel bags over time. The 30 lb bags are larger gravel (most (80%) is caught by 1/4 inch classifier), which allows for quick processing. I use classifiers/screens (I prefer 1/4 inch for larger stones; 1/8 and 1/12 for smaller stones; 1/20 and 1/50 are too small to be cut) and a child's tracing box for a light box to find the sapphires. If no light box then be out in sunlight if possible and do not wear sunglasses. Montana sapphires look like pieces of a shattered glass Coke Cola bottle with usually a light blue or light green hue. Unlike the North Carolina sapphires that are opaque, these tend to be translucent or transparent. I prefer gravel from Missouri River watershed over Rock Creek area since I have found larger stones. However, Rock Creek sapphires are more plentiful in the gravel, a lot fewer inclusions/flaws, and heat treat better. Largest sapphire to date is 13 carat, but heavily included. Largest decent one was 8 carat.

Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a poor experience ordering gravel. Once is enough. Unless I am out hunting for it, I ain't paying for it anymore. Get a load of these bad bwoys:
photo 3.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG

Corundum, ruby & sapphires in matrix. These were much bigger than any others I have found so far. Very excited to go back and find more.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread