mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Pics would help. If you don't want to put rock in tumbler, I read an article yrs ago about putting polishing grit in a pan & polishing by hand. The guy did it anytime he sat down to watch tv.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember reading that meteorites that have been sliced and polished are coated with automatic transmission fluid. Very messy and will attract dust. A lighter oil like WD40 or better yet Endust. They evaporate over time and any residue could be removed with a solvent.
If anyone here knows a reason this shouldn't be done I hope they weigh in as I don't want you to hurt your rocks.

If I read your post right it seemed like you just want to pop the colors for examination.
I've tried Endust and it will enhance the rock like water does.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pics would help. If you don't want to put rock in tumbler, I read an article yrs ago about putting polishing grit in a pan & polishing by hand. The guy did it anytime he sat down to watch tv.

December 21 I posted some rocks in rocks and gems to show if you want to check them out, if not I can post some more. Those are the kind if rocks I am talking about. Thank you very much Mamabear.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember reading that meteorites that have been sliced and polished are coated with automatic transmission fluid. Very messy and will attract dust. A lighter oil like WD40 or better yet Endust. They evaporate over time and any residue could be removed with a solvent.
If anyone here knows a reason this shouldn't be done I hope they weigh in as I don't want you to hurt your rocks.

If I read your post right it seemed like you just want to pop the colors for examination.
I've tried Endust and it will enhance the rock like water does.

You are right hvacker, enhancement is what I need. Never tried to polish any before now but I want to. They are so much more beautiful when wet. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you have to I'd also use clear lacquer on them. Although I prefer my specimens as are.

Upvote 0

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...once by accident I noticed that after putting on some hand lotion (palmers cocobutter) and then handled some rocks it helped show the colors...but don't know if it's safe for them or not? We use it on ourselves but on rocks? Anyone know the answer to that?

Upvote 0

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmm, Curious kat, I know you have to be careful with what comes in contact with opals & pearls, so the same could be true with different rocks also.

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
...once by accident I noticed that after putting on some hand lotion (palmers cocobutter) and then handled some rocks it helped show the colors...but don't know if it's safe for them or not? We use it on ourselves but on rocks? Anyone know the answer to that?

The oil in the hand lotion,you would of got the same effect with water or clear.

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would stay away from petrolium based oils, or solvents, can have a bad reaction to sulphides,and make them deteriate, i am with red on this one ,clean them well, then clear coat them with a laquer , laqs are nasty chemicly ,but when they dry they lose their nastiness,and become stable and wont further deteriorate your specimen, oils tend to keep there penitrating power and will absorb intosome rocks,sulphides are are absorbant do to their own chemical nature,,one time i had a piece ,rather large,that iused a solvent cleaner on, and was happy with the shine ,and transluce, but left it sit like that for weeks before i touched it again, and when i did it crumbled, i figured the solvent penitrated into the micro fractures ,and allowed my pretty rock to crumble into a bunch of tiny pretty rocks. just shareing my experience.

Upvote 0

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use mineral oil to treat many of the agates I find to bring out detail. Typically I soak them in the mineral oil for about an hour and then I remove them from the mineral oil and put them under a lamp to heat them up with the oil on them also for about an hour. Then I wipe them as dry as I can. So far in my experience I have never regretted it. Many I treated over a year ago still look good to me. Of course, experience could vary with other minerals.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread