bounty hunter discovery 1100
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to tnet man! i am from southeast of you ,huntingdon area,there is some locations here in pa for gemys ,mostly whats documented is from southeast pa,but there are gems all over really,depends what your out to find, and where you are willing to go.but if your serious ,get some info on gems and mins, so you have an idea of what you find when you find it,union furnace has old quarys there that have produced,zircon,quartz,just about any stream will produce,garnets, but there you would need to get some screens set up to sift through the stream gravels,hit me back with an idea of what you would like to find, and i will share what info i have,you maybe surprised whats right around us.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im up for finding anything i love the outdoors and just being out there. What is the easiest thing to find just to start out and get the thrill going. ( how could ya lose it though lol) how to you go about streams and knowing what your looking at haha

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take a mineral guide with you,go to your locale hardware store and purchase a few feet of screen, 1/2 in,and 1/4 inch,and some one by 4inch num. 2 pine,preferably treated, build a screen box,1/2in on top,1/4 below ,this will allow you to sort through the stream gravels ,you need water to wash sediments from the gravel, so you can make a determination as to buy a pump,or you can get a lil clever and build your screen box so that it will sit submerged ,and allow the stream to wash for you,here you need to have a tub, to catch your gravels,then you can bring those to look through,some will lay a tarp out then dump there gravels and brush through them with their hands to see if theres some goodys,i will try to post some pics of my rig for gemy hunt'n, but the sight has some issues with pics right now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok thank you i will get some materials and be ready to build once i see how yours is set up.

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dont know whats up man, i see some people can post pics without problem,i havent had a problem until this week, ill try agian!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok lol its ok if cant post one. No need to drive yourself nuts. Is there a name for them maybe i can search on google to get a rough idea.

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
If you really want to get into it you'll want to look for areas with a lot of pegmatite(highly mineralized granite).Usually the pegmatite you come across is decomposing.Easy digging when looking for pockets.If your chisel suddenly disappears when you hit it with you hammer,you found a pocket.:laughing9:Sometimes the pockets are filled with a pinkish colored clay,sometime theyre not.Dig in the clay carefully.Dont just reach blindly into a pocket,crystals can cut your hands to hell.The biggest amethyst strike in New Hampshire was found in such a pocket,it was big enough to stand up in,more like a small room.I'll leave some links for you on pegmatite
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...1YCYDQ&usg=AFQjCNFPJaRoZRSK31jLMeIILRO4vYmVKQ
About pegmatites
http://nature.berkeley.edu/classes/eps2//wisc/Lect3.html
Granite & Pegmatite

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used