What kind of adhesive/glue is best for crafting with stones?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Try automotive GOP.Good stuff,long lasting.I used it to fix the grill of my car and the fix lasted for three years.Junked the car before the grill came apart again.

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gorilla Glue. It expands to fill voids. Water cures, so it works in a damp environment.
Jim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tatswell

Nov 24, 2013
Connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks red I'll keep that in mind. Jim have you tried using gorilla glue on stones? I have some but I didn't think it would be strong enough. I guess I can just test it out :)
Anyone else know of any glue used in lapidary work?

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorilla glue expands and oozes out all over the place, and the residue is hard to get off. Slow cure epoxy bonds stones very well, but you need to clean them off with acetone prior to gluing.

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks red I'll keep that in mind. Jim have you tried using gorilla glue on stones? I have some but I didn't think it would be strong enough. I guess I can just test it out :)
Anyone else know of any glue used in lapidary work?
Nope...haven't tried it on stones. Depends on if it's going to show. I use it alot on my projects in plastic. Maybe you should look at a clear 5 minute epoxy. For gluing gems to dops, for faceting, I use super-glue, or 5 minute epoxy. Both ar easy to clean off gems. Don't know how hard it would be clean them off the porous surface of a stone.
Jim

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Not to discount the other guys but try the automotive GOP.My brother got me onto it,he had his own body shop and told me about the stuff.He swore by it,I tried it and now I swear by the stuff.Theres also some stuff called Quick Steel.Its a two colored putty that comes in one roll.slice off a piece and kneed it together,you have a few minutes to get the pieces together.sticks to anything and cures underwater.It will stick to glass and stay there despite the temperature,theres a piece on a window pane in my brothers garage,been there four years.after its cured,you can file it,drill it,tap it,sand it.Try different things until you find what works best and looks best at the end result.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread