chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter discovery 1100
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would an outcrop of shale on a hillside be good to look for gemstones and stuff. Its about 6 feet thick and about 80 yards long with bits of it still back in the hill and some sticking out about 2 feet with decent sized gaps in and around it And its sturdy. Was there today but the hill was ice so couldn't get up to it kept sliding down but if it would possibly produce i will go back when the hill thaws some

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
You need need igneous rock for most gemstones,list of gemstones formed from igneous rock include the chrysoberyl group, all of the quartzes (including amethyst, citrine and ametrine), the beryls (emerald, morganite and aquamarine), the garnets, moonstone, apatite, diamond, spinel, tanzanite, tourmaline, topaz and zircon..Shale is sedimentary rock,gemstones associated with sedimentary rock include jasper, malachite, opal and zircon.

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as red said ,not likely. now those cracks,or strat layers may carry an (intrusive),usually quartz veins, but the gemys are unlikely to grow to the size you want from these sorts of veins, temperature cools much to fast.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok so finding stuff is gonna be tough and slim. Other then fossils correct? Sucks being new to stuff ask to many questions haha

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can never ask to many questions,thats how you find out,but tough and slim yes,but thats what makes these things worthwhile!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is true. I like being out and about haha so dont bother me just wanted to make sure might be something there before worked through it. Because i didnt know if there was any stones in that kind of rock. Now i know there is so will be out searching around

Upvote 0

Follows Camp Craig

Dec 1, 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Team Keene Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your shale might contain some fossils.

I can't hurt to go back to that location and spend an hour or two with a small hammer, chisel or stainless steel putty knife.
Try to split the shale in the same direction as the layers. Some shale is often easily cleaved which would be great because you can peel it apart like pages in the book of time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya this shale is easily split i will have to check it out and split some. I know right up the road about a mile i got fern fossils when i was younger.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread