No one has ever been able to identify this, need help

Windburry

Greenie
Jan 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I'm new around here but I have this "stone/petrified wood/something" that I found in a sandy area of a shallow ditch that had a very very small almost river-like water flowing through it. I've had this since I was 5 years old, I'm now 27 and it's killing me to find out what it could be. It has a smooth texture.

If anyone knows, thank you so much.

-Brandon Britt

Here it is:

Edited in:
It is pretty much unbreakable, yet it is lightweight for it's size, and doesn't sound like stone or wood when hit against surfaces.

also, someone once took a knife to it to see what it would do, it simply left a black mark that went away

it is 100% dry in these photos.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    622.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    626.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    715.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    638.6 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, I did not expect that.

Take a loupe or some form of magnification and see if you can see "grains" in there. If yes, then it might be a sandstone none the less. (I kinda doubt it, though)

If that's the natural surface, perhaps jasper is a possibility.
If you click on the pic then use the magnification it does show grains and striated features.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's not showing so well on my laptop, I'm afraid.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Windburry

Greenie
Jan 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you guys are right, I think it's just jasper that has been smoothed out over the years being in that stream. Awesome! I love you guys

THANK YOU :D

Upvote 0

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like some kind of picture jasper. where did you pick it up? state, etc. many picture jaspers are named after the mines they came from. it looks similar to some of the desert queen jasper I have. I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think google has a thing where you can put a photo in and it will search for similar items .

Does not work with a photo such as the ones posted.. You would come up with a photo of a rock, if you were lucky..

Upvote 0

G.O.Eye

Feb 1, 2014
far south nevada
Detector(s) used
Elite 2200 Bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like Biggs Jasper to me, try an Google this term but remember, no two stones of this composition will look alike you may find similarities, this will be a great start for you, this should narrows things.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

micro

Feb 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my vote is sandstone that maybe has been a pocket jingle...like carrying a rabbit foot for luck....

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread