Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

IMG186.jpg
IMG187.jpg
IMG188.jpg
IMG189.jpg

I found this rock at the crater of diamonds park in Arkansas.

Any thoughts? What caused the different rocks to bond? Is it worth breaking apart for any gems?

Thanks,

Patrick

Last edited:

Greybear

Dec 22, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears to be a conglomerate of several smaller stones. The stones look to be river stones ( rounded). Stones like this with get buried in the bottom of a lake or river and over many years become cemented together. If you have limestone in the area it is usually from a process called calcification.

As far as breaking it apart, that's your choice. It is a neat sample as is but it doesn't appear to be anything special. There could be a gemstone hidden inside. The only way to tell is bust it. If it sounded off with a detector it could have metal or a hot rock in the cluster.
Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Patrick...Not to post on everyone of your threads..BUUUT..I too had found one of those at the Diamond Mine....Mine was much smaller thou....Did you ever go up and check out the Crystal Mines?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Patrick...Not to post on everyone of your threads..BUUUT..I too had found one of those at the Diamond Mine....Mine was much smaller thou....Did you ever go up and check out the Crystal Mines?

No, I haven't heard of the Crystal Mines. Where are they located? That could be cool to explore.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd say Greybear nailed it. I'd leave it as is, nice reference. The detector might be reacting to limonite or related iron minerals.
I personally have done a rock garden with neat rocks.

Upvote 0

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I haven't heard of the Crystal Mines. Where are they located? That could be cool to explore.

Its a little north of the Diamond Mines. it was Called Ron Colemans.

What was really cool, was I did find some nice big pieces and there was an area to wash it all off, which was FULL of really large pieces that people didnt take. I could have filled up a pickup truck with everything I wanted.

Ron Coleman Mining - Jessieville

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any idea what the clear part is in the middle of the top picture? The area is almost circular and indented. There is a part that looks like quartz or something. I have not put it under a metal detector but probably will tonight out of curiosity.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread