Never seen anything like this!

DeputyProspector

Nov 19, 2012
Orange County, Southern Californi
Detector(s) used
As of now, a cheap 50 dollar detector from harbor freight tools. Hopefuls getting a garret 150 for Christmas though!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As I was panning out some material I had brought home from a buddies claim, I noticed this rock with a layer of metallic sheen on one side. The odd thing about this metallic layer, is that when it hits the light, it shows a rainbow type sheen, similar to how soap gives off that strange rainbow color. The picture doesn't really do it justice, and mind you, this rock had not hit my panning water, it was, and had been, completely dry (BONE dry at the creek).

If anyone has any clue, let me know!

Attachments

• image-846438926.jpg
    image-846438926.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 159
  • image-3993373850.jpg
    image-3993373850.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 122
OP
OP
DeputyProspector

DeputyProspector

Nov 19, 2012
Detector(s) used
As of now, a cheap 50 dollar detector from harbor freight tools. Hopefuls getting a garret 150 for Christmas though!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That was my initial thought, it's somewhat soft. Although I know next to nothing about minerals other than gold, I've never known pyrite to be rainbow-esque haha

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Deputy: reprocessed your pic, and hopefully I was able
to bring out some of that rainbow. Didn't add any color,
but adjusted the exposure, contrast, and sharpened it a bit.

image-3993373850-2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
DeputyProspector

DeputyProspector

Nov 19, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Son of a gun! Thanks dizzy, makes it a little easier to inspect! Any opinions on it?

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Chalcopyrite was suggested above, I'm tempted to agree. try scratching it with a knife, if it scratches - chalcopyrite.

Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with the others. Get ready to see a LOT more of it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DeputyProspector

DeputyProspector

Nov 19, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Definitely appears to be chalcopyrite, after some research, it looks almost identical (with the iridescent sheen), AND it does indeed flake off when scratched with surgical steel tweezers. Thanks for the awesome help guys! That's why I post here!

Here's a comparison, photo 1 is my rock, photo 2 is an example from google images. Thanks to dizzydigger for enhancing the photo!

Attachments

• image-1836037114.jpg
    image-1836037114.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 77
  • image-2151215532.jpg
    image-2151215532.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 86
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bornite often has a copper red colour before it oxides. So it's usually quite easy to ID.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey hvacker, that looks like gold to me!

Ya, I know but it's not. A tad light. It was given to me years ago by a man that had a huge collection of museum grade specimens because I took an interest.
And yes, once oxidation sets in the stone will produce colors from reds,yellows, and purples. It's a pretty rock.
One of my mineral books lists bornite with chalcopyrite because of a chemical similarity both being copper iron sulfides.

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, I know but it's not. A tad light. It was given to me years ago by a man that had a huge collection of museum grade specimens because I took an interest. And yes, once oxidation sets in the stone will produce colors from reds,yellows, and purples. It's a pretty rock. One of my mineral books lists bornite with chalcopyrite because of a chemical similarity both being copper iron sulfides.

I agree in that it's a copper type of sulfide.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread