Any Ideas?

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any Idea's?

I found this in the fall of last year while out and about in the Montana countryside. It was near a creek bank, and other than the dark spot in the picture, where it appears that other material was forced into it, I cannot tell you much. Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome, Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 56

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope......certainly different. Does it feel like it is man made?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, not at all, My guess is some sort of agate, but the side, in the second pic, feels smooth, the first pic, that side is as rough as a cob! It was near a stream bed, but not in it.

Upvote 0

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, not at all, My guess is some sort of agate, but the side, in the second pic, feels smooth, the first pic, that side is as rough as a cob! It was near a stream bed, but not in it.

And that's my reason for asking as all the agat and carnelian here are pretty much all smooth and hard enough that any other object would have a difficult time penetrating them.

With one side smooth and the other rough I was thinking if it could possibly be a piece of resin that some how ended up there, (although resin should be some what pliable)...

Sounds like one for the long term re-search project...

Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
How hard is it?
Can you scratch it with a penny? A knife? A piece of quartz.
Kind of looks like amber, which would be very soft. Also would leave a white streak on a piece of unglazed tile.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How hard is it?
Can you scratch it with a penny? A knife? A piece of quartz.
Kind of looks like amber, which would be very soft. Also would leave a white streak on a piece of unglazed tile.

Penny, carbon steel knife dont touch it. I will see if I can find some quartz soon. It was harder than the tile. I have found amber before, this aint it, this seems pretty dang hard.

Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's possible it's carnelian, look at Sard too.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread