curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....here's more fire and I guess regular agate? And a piece of white.....? RSCN5699.JPG RSCN5694.JPG RSCN5690.JPG DSCN5747.JPG DSCN5582.JPG

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And a piece of white.....? Not 100% certain but scary close to white chalcedony.....

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say the white is carnelian.

Carnelian, also known as sard is orange chalcedony. Much available these days is actually dyed to get a better orange color. It is usually translucent to almost clear. I have never seen a white stone referred to as carnelian. Kat, you kill me with these beautiful agates, we have no such deposits back here in the northeast.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...thanks gunsil :) There is a lot of it here, mostly tiny pieces & probably not the best quality but pretty. When I take the pictures I do "wet" the stones first to show the best color. I think our area was once (long time ago) a lake in an old volcano and that's the reason it's here. None in your area, what's in you area that you find?

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...thanks gunsil :) There is a lot of it here, mostly tiny pieces & probably not the best quality but pretty. When I take the pictures I do "wet" the stones first to show the best color. I think our area was once (long time ago) a lake in an old volcano and that's the reason it's here. None in your area, what's in you area that you find?

I haven't done much rockhounding for a while. The glaciers ended where I live, there are a lot of odd stones carried here by them but little of gem or cutting quality. The hills here have many old iron mines and they still mine trap rock for paving, but there is little in the way of really nice stones. I have found some nice fossils a couple of hours north of here, and I did get some nice prehinite at the Patterson, NJ site years ago. There isn't much left to find there now. We have garnets fairly locally but they are not of good color and usually break trying to get them out of the host rock. The American west rules for agates although there are some fine ones found in Kentucky. I mostly metal detect these days and poke around in the woods for old bottle dumps sometimes. I may get out west for some rock hunting next winter, but one can't always be sure of one's path.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...your place sounds very interesting gunsil....have you posted the fossils you found? Eu...lol...yes, guess everyones getting sick of agates :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread