Arizona Trip Agate Nodules

Zee

Oct 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Infinium, Garrett Pro Pointer(x2), 30" Bazooka Prospector, Scuba Gear
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Gramps and his buddy go to Arizona for a month every winter to the Quartzite rock show and pow wow and all that, and to look for gold and rocks. Well this year his buddy couldn't make it (luckily for me!) so when he asked me if I wanted to go I was like Ohhhh Yeah! He is an agate dealer dealing in Lake Superior Agates and he sometimes sets up a booth at the pow wow but he didn't this year. I got back from Afghanistan this last summer and had a few things going on but wasn't planning to go back out to the oilfields until next summer so it was good timing and it was great to get out of the cold up here in MN. We happened to be gone during the coldest time of winter and got back during a warm up so it was perfect.

Anyways! We found a lot of cool rocks, and him being there lots of times and me never being to Arizona I picked up a lot more rock than he did, most of them i would put on the tailgate and it would end up being him asking me "What ya got here! Ohhh? Leverites!" Which got annoying after awhile...but I settled down as I found better stuff and got slightly more picky.

I still haven't unpacked the buckets and ore bags out of my truck, I think I got 5 in there, but here are some I have out already, nothing has been cleaned well, mostly just rinsing.

This is what I think most people call a Desert Rose Agate, one of the better ones I found.
SAM_0622.JPG

Here are a couple small well-formed pieces, one has a little fire in it. ( I still have a bag full of these in the truck I need to go through)
SAM_0639.JPG SAM_0638.JPG

Here are 3 nice geodes I found in the area we found all the agate nodules. Can't wait to see what the insides look like! Hopefully good!
SAM_0621.JPG

This is a quartz crystal I found, I wanted to find a nice one so bad! But this is the best one unfortunately. We met a guy when we were out on a GPAA claim that had a beauty! It was literally perfect.
SAM_0624.JPG SAM_0635.JPG SAM_0636.JPG SAM_0637.JPG

Alright and here is the highlight of the trip, I picked up a few of these one day while we were out rock hunting and just thought they looked cool, like little eggs or marbles. I showed my gramps and he of course was not too impressed (He tells me all the time how he is too spoiled with Lakers to be impressed by much else) But the next day I decided to throw some water in the jar with them and thats when we seen all the little eyes and how you could hold them up to the sunlight and see all the little designs in them, similar to a moss agate from Montana. It was pretty cool! Needless to say we spent about 5 more days at that spot picking up those little things! I just couldn't get enough of them.He seems to think I made a new discovery since no one we talked to knew about them, and him, being an agate dealer has never heard of them. We were told of larger nodules on the Colorado River I think it is, but they are scarce I guess.

SAM_0600.JPG SAM_0601.JPG SAM_0602.JPG SAM_0603.JPG SAM_0604.JPG SAM_0606.JPG SAM_0607.JPG SAM_0608.JPG SAM_0610.JPG SAM_0611.JPG SAM_0612.JPG SAM_0613.JPG SAM_0614.JPG

Here they are next to my baby lakers. Looks pretty cool.
SAM_0615.JPG SAM_0617.JPG SAM_0618.JPG

Heres a close up of a few, these aren't even the best ones, just a couple I had left in the pan I hadn't put in bottles yet.
SAM_0656.JPG SAM_0657.JPG SAM_0658.JPG SAM_0661.JPG SAM_0663.JPG SAM_0664.JPG SAM_0665.JPG
Some of them have very cool scenes on them with the dendrites, theres some with a crazy amount of eyes and some have banding, lots of different colors and most of them you can't get the full scope of whats inside them without looking through the light, its tough to see the good stuff on the camera. Then some of them you can see designs through them, but they will have a chip on the edge and that design is just completely different from what you can see. Strange. Sorry I wrote so much, I'm just excited about them, they sure are pretty even though they are so small.

Dang, I forgot to show what they come out of, well here it is: It looks to me like they were entombed in some sort of Basalt and due to erosion and whatnot they were freed. Also we looked at numerous other places for them and only found them in one spot, we did find similar shaped nodules in one other area, but none of them were agatized.
SAM_0641.JPG

And I did find my very first piece of gold (That I didn't buy) ..unfortunately I had it in a small vial in my black sand bucket and it broke.. I just don't know if it is worth the effort to try to retrieve it. I have a bucket full of concentrate from drywashing too I need to get to. Thats what the cold days left this winter will be for I guess.

Thanks for looking, if anyone knows more about the nodules please let me know!

Edit: Also I know they look pretty dirty, this is only a rinse and into the bottle, eventually I will get around to doing something with them but they will look good onthe shelf for now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zee

Zee

Oct 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Infinium, Garrett Pro Pointer(x2), 30" Bazooka Prospector, Scuba Gear
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, yeah that was quite a few days worth of searching for those nodules. I didn't weigh-up or anything but I figured I had well over 20lbs of them, theres lots more than just the pictures. I brought in another bucket, its snowing here today so not much else todo. I figured I would post a couple more things.

Our last few days was spent at Burro Creek, I highly recommend if your ever in that area to go check out under the bridge, I went a few miles past the bridge and got to see some wild burros for the first time, it was awesome.

Heres the obsidian nodules (Apache Tears) that I found in a few hours of searching near Burro Creek. Some of them have very nice red banding.
SAM_0671.JPG SAM_0685.JPG

These.... I thought I found some prehistoric or fossilized seeds or something, I spent a whole day just to find these.. okay maybe more than a day. Haha I know!
They are Palo Verde seeds... I'm from MN, we don't have seeds as hard as a rock ok! Give me a break. My Gramps thought it was funny I'm certain.
SAM_0674.JPG

This is some type of agate from Burro Creek according to some people there, I think they are really nice looking. I got quite a few very nice big ones. Gramps wouldn't pick them up of course.
SAM_0687.JPG SAM_0688.JPG

This is the biggest chunk of Brenda jasper (Brenda agate to some people) I found, a very very nice garden rock for sure.
SAM_0686.JPG

This is my very first piece of agatized wood I have ever found, its called a limb cast I believe. Very nice orange, almost see through. I like it!
SAM_0675.JPG SAM_0677.JPG SAM_0678.JPG SAM_0680.JPG

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Great stories, great pics and some really nice specimens! I really loved the part "What ya got here! Ohhh? Leverites!" as I have hundreds of pounds of Leverites laying all over and around the house! LOL!!

When I moved back to Tennessee with my job and got interested in Gem prospecting, my friend (Rocky, God rest his soul!) told me of some places to go to in North Carolina. LOL, I came back with over 350 pounds of rocks, some with Sapphires and Rubies sticking out of them and Rocky said that he had created a monster. My affinity for rocks only got worse for the next few years, especially hearing stories from old timers but eventually slowed when I got into Gold prospecting. One old gentleman lived next to the entrance to an old Mica Mine outside of Burnsville, NC where thousands upon thousands of Aquamarine specimens came out of when they were mining for the Mica. He found a 25 pound Aquamarine specimen back in the 1950's that is nearly flawless except for where it was attached to the host rock but he sold it in the 1980's or early 1990's for two bottles of whiskey and $20. Yep, he loved the drink! I was told by others that the specimen now resides in the Smithsonian, is the largest Aquamarine specimen ever found in North America and my friend Rocky even got to hold it for about 10 seconds. Now you can see why I was so obsessed!

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Zee

Zee

Oct 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have lots of rocks also, I'm sure nowhere near what you have! I'm only 26 and I have plenty of containers marked "Leverites" They looked so good when I picked them up but after I got them home eh.. Haha. One of my goals in the next couple years is to find some aquamarine, a 25lb aqua is just insane! Man that would be awesome, I would be happy with a tiny piece. Its a lot more work now-a-days to get any good stuff than it used to be though. I live in MN and about the only good thing worth picking up around here are Lakers.

Thank you for sharing the story, I really enjoyed it!

Upvote 0

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....wow-Zee...sorry had to do that :) You found mucho stuff:icon_thumright: The pebble rocks in the jars look like jelly beans...pretty! Being in NM I'm pretty familiar with some of the things...obsidian & agate....and just love rocks! So.....Thanks for sharing it all with us. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Zee

Zee

Oct 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, thanks! Sure is fun when you find some cool rocks like that, even if they aren't worth a whole lot. If it looks good on the shelf I like it! 8-)

Upvote 0

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...yup...I agree Zee...if we like them they're worth it...value is in the eye of the beholder! :)

Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
Zee
Great story.
I have a good friend whose family is from Salome, about 50 miles from Quartzite. His grandpa was a gold prospector all his life. He ended up with plenty of gold but he also filled up several yards with amazing mineral specimens.
You posted too many pics on one post and it has clogged my semi smart phone. Have to go to a real computer in town to see your pics.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Zee

Zee

Oct 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, sorry about the picture overload haha. This was nowhere near everything I brought back either, I might post a few of my favorites when I'm done cleaning them all still have a bunch soaking. The pics are really of nothing real special and I didn't find anything real great but it was fun because I had never been to AZ and there were so many different rocks I had never seen before! We did try some prospecting but my Gramps is 71 and doesn't get around too great, I'm going to be trying some more prospecting this next summer, maybe in South Dakota or maybe in Montana when we go look for Moss Agate this summer. HH!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread