Tourmaline from Himalaya Mine, San Diego California 2014

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went down to the Himilaya Mine for the first time last weekend and got some nice specimens, probably not worth what I paid to dig, but good experience none the less. The 2 staff were great, helped everyone clean out their troughs, answered questions politely, etc. I talked to a couple who go there regularly and they said they have pulled out some great material which is why they keep going back. Anyway, have a look.

photo 5.JPG photo(1).JPG photo 3.JPG photo(2).JPG

The last pencil is extremely clear. Almost no inclusions. I have a bunch of half inch pencils as well, one of which is also extremely clear, gem quality.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, that's not a bad haul. I went several years ago and you did better than I did.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few more. The green/pink which is very clear. A black tourmaline with great termination and a little pair, pink & green together. The black is on Ebay right now.
photo 3.JPG photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mine in Pala, just east of 15 is another great source for tourmalines.
Don...........
Don, ya I know about the Oceanview, but I have heard so many bad things about them that I decided to go to the Himalaya.

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Maybe 40 years ago, I would go to the Pala mine and root through their tailings--no longer permitted today.
More recently (15 years ago) I would take my daughter there and buy a $50 bucket then take the next two hours going through it. She once found a two inch specimen and the staff took a pic of her and her 'jewel' and posted the pic on their wall of significant finds. Great memories.
Don..

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very nice, sad thing the rough prices are through the roof these days for tourm.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, sad thing the rough prices are through the roof these days for tourm.

You mean they are expensive?

Don, the sad thing is I grew up in Temecula, just on the other side of the mountains. I really wish I had known about the mines back then, I could have spent time digging in the piles instead of raising hell. I bet you found some very nice specimens. Any photos by chance?

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's been increasing in price, well at least faceting rough.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ooooh, I better go back out there and get some more! Is the candy cane piece above facetable? There are inclusions, but it's had to tell the actual clarity inside. I see some very clear areas and some inclusions. Are you in the market for some material? What is the going rate??

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=948315&d=1392940194

The above one is facet grade by the looks of it.

A simple test is to get a white paper near a window or a good light source and shine through the gem. A good gem would look like this:

It is "eye clean", meaning NO inclusions can be seen by the naked eye. I'll send you a PM. Not in the market right now, but perhaps in the future.
I can cut and trade for rough, though.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EU, I would definitely be interested in cut/trade. Please let me know!

Upvote 0

JLeonhardy

Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gosh, you remind me they still owe me a bag of dirt from when I was there in December. It was just me on a sunday afternoon and I processed over sixty buckets. Will look to post pics later today!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JL, Did you find anything good?? This past Saturday I was running buckets like the house was burning down. I wasn't looking too closely, just running material for larger specimens. I was able to keep 2 buckets of material I screened to 1/4". I just started going through 1 and have found a few pencils, one thick, and lots of chunks. I'm going to try and sell the other one, maybe 10-15lbs a time on ebay.

Don, like I said, you must have been going through those piles when the pickings were good. I bet you got some great material.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread