Dumb as a rock

Sorehands

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am relatively new to gold prospecting ( about six months now) and am becoming more and more interested in the rocks that I am throwing out of my classifier.

I have a strong suspicion that I am throwing away more value (in stones) than I will ever likely find in gold.

Since I am digging them up anyway, I really want to learn more about quickly identifying potentially valuable stones in rough form.

Although I have read a couple books, looked at countless images, and have ordered a hardness-testing kit, I still struggle with the ability to accurately identify rough stones of value.

I am thinking that I can learn best through practical action- would like to pay a local expert to spend an hour or two with me stream-side and help me identify rocks.

Has anyone successfully tried this approach? *Do you have any contacts you could recommend around the Alpharetta/Suwanee GA area?

All ideas and suggestions are very much appreciated.

This email was sent from my phone - please excuse any errors.

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sore, give yourself time. Read about your area, the geology, the past mineral finds etc. This will help you narrow down any possible material that is around you. It's a process of elimination and believe it or not, very soon you will find yourself being able to identify most of those rocks. If your area is known for producing benitoite you should collect anything that is blue and/or has white natrolite, then take it home and painstakingly go through it. 99% of what you will find will just be a "rock". By doing some research 90% of what you take home will be worth taking home.

Your suspicion is correct about value of minerals to gold. While gold is worth much more, a good agate or other mineral can easily pay for your gas and is much easier to find. Not only that, but learning more about geology will open up a whole new level of prospecting to you. One where you will sit on treasure hunting message boards endlessly, fill every space of your house with rocks instead of country crafts your wife collects and it will get you out in nature and make you appreciate what an awesome country we live in.

One last nugget, join a club near you. The older people there are a wealth of knowledge and are usually happy to pass on what they know.

Upvote 0

rickn1

Dec 14, 2011
Southern Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want to go the book route, check Amazon for Pough, National Audubon Society, Simon & Simon, field guides to rocks and minerals. All 3 are invaluable.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sorehands

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Mr. Lee.

I am slowly getting better- I think some real- time coaching will help. I have asked for some help from a nearby club but I think (as you recommend) if I join and go to a few meetings, I will find some folks willing to take me under their wing.

Rocks have already taken over my basement. My wife owns the first floor though :).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sorehands

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you Rickn.

I am always glad to learn more - downloaded one already.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread