curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....I have this posted on the native American site also because it was found with some artifacts and am wondering what material it may be? Thought someone here might know? It's hard not flaky, smooth but not shiny...the color photographed as it really is.....could it be clay? Thanks :) RSCN6056.JPG RSCN6048.JPG RSCN6047.JPG RSCN6053.JPG

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the surface feel " glass-like " ??

I ask as this looks like (possibly) a small piece of red Earthenware which will absorb water if not glazed..

To defeat the porosity the fired object is covered with finely ground glass powder, and is then fired a second time. During the firing, the fine particles covering the surface fuse into an amorphous, glasslike layer, sealing the pores of the clay body.

Object appears to be man shaped...Do you what the intended use for it is?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Thank you Cariboo5 for trying to help, no it's not glassy. I was thinking maybe it was used for "paint" by scraping it off but think maybe I'm wrong.....seems that the guys over on the Native American site have it solved....as being Catlinite/pipestone! It does seems "clayish" but harder, I just answered them with a question and if they agree then it will be "solved"....sure are some nice people on Tn, you included! :)

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
...Thank you Cariboo5 for trying to help, no it's not glassy. I was thinking maybe it was used for "paint" by scraping it off but think maybe I'm wrong.....seems that the guys over on the Native American site have it solved....as being Catlinite/pipestone! It does seems "clayish" but harder, I just answered them with a question and if they agree then it will be "solved"....sure are some nice people on Tn, you included! :)

It appears that the guys ove on the Native American Indian Artifacts forum hit it right on the nail's head! Congrats! Now you just have to figure out what you are going to carve it into.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cat...yoCICA&sqi=2&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1350&bih=512

Frank

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions