Primary Interest:
Prospecting

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Simple answer: Yes, the location where a Gem is found or mined can have an effect on the value. However, more than anything...the quality, the color and size determines the value.

Frank

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some locations are known for quality,or shades of color, some hold a value due to there location and their rarity,and access to the location,i.e closed historical mines or quarrys .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G.O.Eye

Feb 1, 2014
far south nevada
Detector(s) used
Elite 2200 Bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guys I appreciate it, so in other words a location has to gain the respect for producing high quality gems before the value can actually raise? what if there's just a few high quality gems found in alluvial fans but being in an area that's arid and lacking real weathering except wind an very very scarce rain fall can't find the true source would this change things, hope I'm not being a nuisance.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've worked with gems and cutting for a while and this is what I have to say:

Truth be told, it depends on the buyer. If he is a collector he might be willing to pay a premium for certain locales. If he's just a "average guy", he most likely won't.
When I buy rough I don't think to much of the origin other then avoiding conflict zones.
I rarely pay a premium for a locale unless I know there's money in it for me and then I usually have to wait years before that collector comes by to pay that premium.

I mean, for example: If I can get a similar zircon at 5 cts from xxx or yyy why should I pay a premium from either? I won't, I'll buy the cheapest.

Now, on the other hand: If I can buy a ethiopian opal or a similar australian opal but the aussie commands a higher price, will I pay it?
Yes I will. I know the aussie opals are getting more scarce and are less likely to crack on me. Basically it evens out the risks.

I also want to add that marketing is a huge thing and properly marketed that locale may command a premium just due to that.
Look at tanzanite, which has been marketed quite well.

I hope that gives some food for thought from a cutters point of view. :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread