Please help ID this beautiful rock

coachkev

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0003.JPG

I found this rock many years ago in a riverbed in the Pacific Northwest. I always just thought it was stunning and have always kept it on display. Recently, I discovered that it attracts a magnet held on a string. I've started to become very curious as to what this is. Any ideas? Thanks, I'm new to trying to learn about rocks/minerals even though I've collected things for decades that I thought were attractive. Excited to start learning now.

OP
OP
C

coachkev

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.
I should also add that it is a rather dense feeling rock and surface is smooth. It also has some very small spots that you can see a silver/gray color. Not shiny or sparkly, but rather a flat silver.

Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coach, magnetite is dense, heavy, compared to most rocks. Same with it's twin hematite. The reason it is smooth is that it was worn down in the river over many years. As for the inclusions, hard to tell, but probably quartz.

It's a nice start to rockhounding. Get back in that river and pull some gold or gemstones out!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lee is right, magnetite is most likely if magnetic. It's brother hematite isn't.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

coachkev

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody. Seems the consensus is the black part is magnetite. Still wondering about the silver color inclusions and the lighter colored streaks on the rock?

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I think that the others are correct about the Magnetite being the black outer layer and being magnetic. After blowing the pics up, it appears that underneath the Magnetite, the rock consists of a Mica Schist and Quartzite conoglomerate.

Frank

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread