Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Untitled.jpg

anyone watch ? Your opinion ?

I saw the first episode last night , Not really much to say Pro or Con other then the announcers voice & the actors don't irritate me yet :tongue3: Should Rerun 1pm Eastern today for those who missed it & want to preview it

Discovery Channel Greenlights 'Game of Stones' Series About Rare-Gem Hunter (Exclusive)

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I watched it. I probably won't watch it again. I just didn't believe some of the situations were real - i.e. walking through a minefield, "hiding" from river pirates while filming them at the same time, fat guys walking through 17-miles of jungle (I did it in top shape in the Army at 19-years old and it almost killed me), walking up on guys with carbines right out of the jungle. Like "Diggers" it will find an audience but, I don't think I'll be in it.

Upvote 0

G.O.Eye

Feb 1, 2014
far south nevada
Detector(s) used
Elite 2200 Bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ive watched a few episodes, its ok but to much drama, there turning this world we love into a dramatic soap opera plus I like to keep it home based the U.S of A. the best show I though they had it pin pointed right was prospectors on the weather channel but is now gone, it was to lame to the dramatic TV watchers.

Upvote 0

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't go into Cambodia with that much money....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm missed something each episode so far.
They travel through the wild with all types of danger which takes several days.
But did they ever say anything about the trip back ?

First episode they traveled through landmines etc. to beat a guy who was obviously taking a road.

last episode they again take routes that are supposedly dangerous , but after when they find out about an auction, nothing is mentioned of how the other bidders got there, or even how anyone left the first destination.

something I replayed several times. lasts maybe 1 Second between shots. When they stayed at the so called Drug runners hut out in the boonies on what ? a Mountainside ?

as he was saying we got to get going, & opens the door, I'd swear I hear a Domestic U.S. police Cruiser siren just for a second.
and a a frame or two saw a Red flash in the doorway making me think someone got pulled over out front while they were filming. and editing didn't catch them
2 frames.
I know sometimes during all the boring drama, my mind spaces for a few seconds & I miss things but I always seem to catch things that make me go huh, on this one
laughing7.gif

appears to me, that they are trying to make the main character look like a Indiana Jones of Gem hunting. & his ego is loving it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the other thing that gets me about these shows, they try to make it look like the main character has all this energy & survival skills to survive anything in the wild ?
what about the Producer, Camera crew, & gofer ?

are they following along in golf carts, or travel trailers ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, I thought I heard a siren too. They only thing I could conclude, is that it was a donation. I know that many US departments have a relationship with other countries LEO's, in KS we had several Bejing Chinese cops come and see how we did things, and when it was learned about how often they got shot and stuff, many old vests from different departments went over there. Not to mention Crown vics, sirens, etc. I distinctly recall several fully outfitted crown vics went to Moscow not that long ago.

Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like I'll pass on watching this one.

Prospectors is a good show. They salt it with fake drama, but most of the show focuses on real people digging real gems, making a living.

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Just another attempt to capitalize on the gem hunting/gold panning/treasure hunting shows that ended up in the trash simply because they are not "true" collectors. There isn't any sport when everyhting has a price.. take away the value and maybe the show will be a hit.. or flop because everyone wants to get rich quick.. Shows like this, give us legit gem hunters a bad name..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
The first episode had the guys walking through the mine field and jungle to beat the other guy's, who were driving to the same location, from about the same starting position.

I just couldn't get past the fact that they were bushwhacking to beat someone driving on a road... I was stuck in a loop of, why don't they just drive there faster?

Too much fake drama. I know they all have to have drama- wouldn't be a reason to watch it if all you did was watch some guy's quietly digging for a while...

But, this one was just way too far off the mark for me. I tolerate drama, whooping it up, rolling around and flaming engines and such, so I can see some of the procedures and stuff that may have been found (reads planted as well) to keep it interesting.

This one is way too scripted.

Prospectors is interesting for me, the silicone is just fluff and bonus material.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread