DarlingGirl

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2014
LI, NY
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While sidewalk diving what looked like the remains from a garage sale I found this:

IMG_20140302_102548.jpg IMG_20140302_102529.jpg

It looks like Orange Calcite. From what I could tell this is a Hispanic household. I am guessing its origin is Mexico, as most large calcite that I have seen on the web is usually carved into skulls and polished...
Can anyone confirm?
It is certainly about 20 lbs, ice cold, and on a wooden pedestal that seems to be screwed and glued through the bottom.

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice......If I had to lean in one direction I would take a stab at this may be Rose Quartz...From your pictures it looks translucent to almost opaque and is of a large size for which rose quartz is known... All in all...a nice find...( Just gotta find me one of those sidewalks....L O L..)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
DarlingGirl

DarlingGirl

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2014
LI, NY
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a complete idiot. Okay, so I started hunting for Calcite lamps, and I was wrong - you're right. Up against the rose colored shirt that I was wearing, it looked very orange/peach. It is indeed pinkish now that I check it.
So! I went on websites looking for rose quartz lamps, but I couldn't figure out what the chalky/salty substance was in the crevices of the rock.
UNTIL I FOUND THIS PAGE!
SALT CRYSTAL LAMP 30cm
Ohmgd.
Took it to the sink, and washed it, dried it, and TASTED it.
Salt!
I'm aghast. Himalayan Salt Lamp! I didn't even turn it over to check it - it indeed has a hollow for the lamp bulb.
Well, I've got to get back to that curb where I found it to find the dang lamp parts! (Or buy some to replace them at Home despot.)

Upvote 0

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I've always admired the salt lamps. & although it would have been an amazing calcite or rose quartz, you still got a goody. I would buy new parts for the lamp. just safer, & not that expensive.

Upvote 0

JLeonhardy

Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Salt was my first guess, but only cause I see them for sale on the Desert News web page!. Was gonna recommend licking it for identification.....

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread