Possible geode? Please help!

CaseKeatley

Greenie
Dec 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello TNetters!
I found this rock last year on the bank of the James River in Richmond, VA that sparked my interest. From what I've seen, I think it's a geode, but I'm not sure. If it's a geode, what kind is it? Should I get it polished?
Thanks!
Case

image-2658059911.jpg

image-2182478211.jpg

image-1637331986.jpg

image-2719280986.jpg

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello CaseKeatley-
I'll begin by saying that I am not an expert- not even close. But I know a couple things. No one's responding because what you have isn't a geode (at least from what I can see from your pictures- which I can't see to make bigger- big enough to really see the surface of the inside of your rock). Now maybe I'm wrong, but to my understanding, a geode must have a cavity, otherwise it's just a really pretty rock worth polishing for tourist/collector bookends, or something like that. Although your rock has a tiny little bit of something-or-other (crystal pocket?), it mostly looks like not-very-old sedentary rock- with a lighter 'crust'. By definition, if it doesn't have a cavity or pocket w/I the rock, it isn't a geode. Inclusions happen in a lot of different rocks- and I think that's what you have. (plus, and again- I may be wrong, I think geodes are found generally in parts for western than Virginia. Keep looking for cool stuff. There's so much to find in VA (I lived there for 15 years), you're sure to find something interesting soon! HH Yakker

Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey usagold- those are some freaking amazing agates! (and I love the family pages. You're a good, good man. You're family is very lucky!) Happy hunting! Yakker

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread