Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks-
I've got a question. When I was visiting my dad in Virginia (Albemarle County), I found an amazing rutilated quartz crystal. When I found it, I didn't even know what it was- and I wasn't actually looking for rocks- more just poking around a body of water up the Ridge a bit. It was in the shallows. (and I didn't know what it was until I looked it up when I got home-- I thought it was fractured...silly me...)

So here's the question-- has anyone ever heard of someone finding rutilated quartz in VA before? I've only seen specimens like this one from Brazil. I only have crappy pics of it, but will try again if someone could give me pointers on how to photo a clear thing w/ inclusions. I'm at a loss (and don't have a nice camera)-- so this is what I have.

0307141722.jpg 0307141722a.jpg 0307141723.jpg

Thanks for looking- and for whatever information you may have! Yakker

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Quartz is the second most abundant mineral in the Earth's continental crust, after feldspar. It can be found just about anywhere on earth, although in some locations you might have to dig a little to find it. Rutilated Quartz is somewhat less common and mainly confined to areas where metamorphic and igneous rocks are found (i.e. areas which were subject to high temperatures and/or high compression). Since the Eastern slopes of the Appalachians are well known for the Volcanoes (the main source of the high temperatures) and the high mountains (source of the high compression or pressure from the extreme weight of the mountains and a secondary source for high temperatures created by the compression) that were created some 200 to 300 millions years ago during the collisions of tectonic plates that created Pangea before this large Supercontinent broke apart, yes, the Eastern slopes of Virginia are a good place to find Rutilated Quartz.

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Go back and see if you can find more next time you are in the area! Try track down the source, look close to the water and ridge. Look for signs of quartz.

On the other hand I do not see any striations on the quartz, suggesting it might be cut. Perhaps someone threw out their mineral collection.
I'd go back and look either way. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I have been back several times- wandering around to see if I can spot the source, but to no avail so far. Not being a diligent rock hound, I'm not certain what to look for- in the host rock, or the surrounding environment (and yes, I did consider the notion that someone just threw it in there for one reason or another), and I emailed a local(ish) rock hound/mineralogist, but my pics weren't good enough-- and I haven't been down to see him and show him my sample. He did tell me the same sort of information as Huntsman (thank you H.!), but that rutilated was rare indeed. Blue quartz is also rare, but found in that area of VA.
There's evidence of the rock it came from- or was attached to at some point- on the back. The back is unlike the other sides, as it's not smooth but more textured like granite. The surrounding area is steep hill full of crumbling, almost sandy granite- with streaks of milky quartz, white quartz, and mica. I guess I should try to climb up higher to see (there are rocks suitable for climbing (as in climbing w/ gear- for the sake of climbing) further up the hill, which I've never seen. I told some fellas setting out to do just that to keep their eyes peeled for anything shiny... I'm sure that was the last thing on their minds.

Anyway, I hadn't been able to find any examples of rutilated quartz in VA. Not on line anyway. And although I know quartz is very common in VA, this in particular seems not so common. So I wasn't sure... Does anyone know a good hound down there? Someone I can take this to? Better to go to someone known than a stranger, I'm betting.

Thanks again- Yak

Upvote 0

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Aaghh! I would love to find a piece like that! & it is so full of rutile! Definitely go back & look for more.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guys. I have been back several times- wandering around to see if I can spot the source, but to no avail so far. Not being a diligent rock hound, I'm not certain what to look for- in the host rock, or the surrounding environment (and yes, I did consider the notion that someone just threw it in there for one reason or another), and I emailed a local(ish) rock hound/mineralogist, but my pics weren't good enough-- and I haven't been down to see him and show him my sample. He did tell me the same sort of information as Huntsman (thank you H.!), but that rutilated was rare indeed. Blue quartz is also rare, but found in that area of VA. There's evidence of the rock it came from- or was attached to at some point- on the back. The back is unlike the other sides, as it's not smooth but more textured like granite. The surrounding area is steep hill full of crumbling, almost sandy granite- with streaks of milky quartz, white quartz, and mica. I guess I should try to climb up higher to see (there are rocks suitable for climbing (as in climbing w/ gear- for the sake of climbing) further up the hill, which I've never seen. I told some fellas setting out to do just that to keep their eyes peeled for anything shiny... I'm sure that was the last thing on their minds. Anyway, I hadn't been able to find any examples of rutilated quartz in VA. Not on line anyway. And although I know quartz is very common in VA, this in particular seems not so common. So I wasn't sure... Does anyone know a good hound down there? Someone I can take this to? Better to go to someone known than a stranger, I'm betting. Thanks again- Yak

It's rutiled quartz, quartz being the main point here. So look for quartz veins, especially if they have cavities ("Vugs") in them.
Look for traces of quartz - i.e. fragments of quartz that may lead you to the vein it should have come from.

If you want to know more i suggest you try and find the book: prospecting for gemstones and minerals john sinkankas

Upvote 0
OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the information. I'll look it up. I was just wondering if anyone knew of that sort of quartz coming from that particular area- as in "oh- I know so-and-so who has a whole collection..." or- "there's a display of those in (whatever location)". I guess not. I will continue to search for the source, or more each time I'm there. Thanks again. Yak

Upvote 0
OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and thanks Mamabear- I was blown away when I found it. Carried it around w/ me for a couple weeks. Kept pulling it out and staring at it...

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ha, no, I couldn't find anything on that. So I'm just hoping that curiosity gets the best of you. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will, EU- rest assured! :) Yakker

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Clearly it wasn't found already faceted.. or if it was.. then someone placed it there as part of their worship or even a cleansing ritual.. and simply forgot it was there. Those I've come in contact with few the stream water as a natural cleansing source.. In somecase.. they have actually given up their stone/crystals because the crystals have reached the end of their usefulness..

Upvote 0

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Stonewhisperer, are you saying the crystal was not a natural formation? & there is always a chance it was formed there in VA. Truly I think there are probably more specimens waiting to be discovered. That is such an amazing piece!

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Stonewhisperer, are you saying the crystal was not a natural formation? & there is always a chance it was formed there in VA. Truly I think there are probably more specimens waiting to be discovered.
Morning Dear.. No what I'm saying is that yes.. the stones/crystals can form natural facets side.. Stones/crystals are known to simply jut up our of the ground but may not be as cleanly polished direct from the mine.. and defiantly not cut clean at the base.. (as the image would indicate) in other words.. I feel that the crystal above has been altered/faceted even slightly polished and if found this way.. by someone who placed it there.

Upvote 0

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmm, will have to ponder on that for awhile. I do have some crystals I found in Arkansas that looked like a clean cut on the bottom, but upon closer inspection, they actually broke that way. But if someone did drop that piece, I wish they'd come here & drop some for me! still think it's a possibility it was a natural find.

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Of course.. it can be hard to tell a cut/facet or brake just depends on the minerals structure. But if you look closer at the image above.. I just feel that the crystal has been polish ever so slightly.. I don't see any hints of actually breaking off.. unless a better image is supplied view from all side and the bottom.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To explain:
A " quartz crystal usually has something called "striations" that run horizontally along the length of the crystal.

A good example is this: http://www.rosellminerals.com/en/archivos/minerals/RM609-Quartz-Trimouns-c.jpg

The lines you see on the reflected surface are striations. I do not see any striations on the crystal above, that is why it is possible it was cut and polished.
I hope that helps. :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread