mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
While out walking a site for crystals, I came across apiece of obsidian, thumbnail size, & lots of smaller pieces. It wasn't coal, no tell tale coal smell. But I have never heard of MO. obsidian. I have been looking through my books, & searching google, but so far to no avail. If you know of anyone that has found an outcropping or knows of a book that might have the info, I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Mamabear

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
would it cleave like obsidian? & is glassy looking. Will have to look up black chert. Thanks.

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Mama, Mindat.. doesn't list an references to Obsidian being in your location, and if this is a new find.. it best to have it listed with their system. Also.. one can't be to sure if in fact it is obsidian.. it could be a form of Opal which is glassy in appearance. Opel or Opalized thunder eggs can be found west of the Mississippi river.. and it could be possible that because of your location you might fall into that cusp.

Upvote 0

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would it cleave like obsidian? & is glassy looking. Will have to look up black chert. Thanks.

Here's a link to Missouri's Rocks & Minerals. I found it very interesting reading regarding your state..( Chert is mentioned ) also know as flint for arrow heads..

Have to copy & paste this link:

www.dnr.mo.gov/geology/docs/rocksetbooklet.pdf

Upvote 0

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read that some was found at a native site in the middle of Kansas. They also found a link of Spanish chain mail.
Maybe it was traded from tribes to the west.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks for the responses. There was too much for it to have been traded. That was my first thought. opal, that is one I hadn't thought about. Will have to do more research. Cariboo thanks for the link. I hadn't been to that site before. Now I want to go to that museum. I feel a road trip coming up!

Upvote 0

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's interesting mamabear....did you bring some home? Could you see through it at all? Since Obsidian is from "recent" volcanic activity, maybe you can check on the when's & where's of it there?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Kat I did bring a piece of it home, (of course, I don't think I've ever come home without rocks in my pockets) but it is in with all the druzy I brought home, & I haven't been able to get to it yet. My daughter is coming home from college, so I am trying to hurricane proof the house.

Upvote 0

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok mamabear...Post'em when you can & I know about the "rocks in the pockets"....sounds like mine! :) Oh...so you're "hurricane" proofing house because of the weather or is it that your daughter is the "cat.4"...lol

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mindat usually lists minerals, so I doubt they'd mention obsidian there. Opal and chalcedony are though 2 possible candidates. I'd love pics!

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Mindat.. doesn't list any references to Obsidian being in your location, and if this is a new find.. it best to have it listed with their system. Also.. one can't be to sure if in fact it is obsidian.. it could be a form of Opal which is glassy in appearance. Opel or Opalized thunder eggs can be found west of the Mississippi river.. and it could be possible that because of your location you might fall into that cusp.
However Mindat does list minerals.. and they do mention Obsidian several times in fact.. most sites are on the west coast on the United States..
Almost every attempt to discredit anything I've ever said here and I've posted this from day one.. and I'll do as the admins have informed me to do.. Some just needs to return to my "ignore" bin..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Apparently you where right, SW. I had not realized they had obsidian listed there.

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found chunks of black slag glass on occasion that look pretty much like obsidian. Found them in odd places like remote fields. I don't believe there is any native obsidian in the "Show Me" state.

Upvote 0

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Ma, not all coal "smells" like coal. Some has no smell until burnt. Some will look like glass when broken (slick and shiny). I've found areas of perhaps an acre covered w/flakes and no chert for several hundred yards from that area (my guess is a camping site where the natives worked the stone). While working in S.Dak. I talked to archeologists working a site where they found stone from several hundred miles away and was told the natives traded stone,chert,flint like anything else. Pics would help.
good luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I will take the piece to the local college, maybe they can tell me what it is. uglymailman, that is an interesting avatar. There must be a good story behind it.
EU you just earned a heaping cupful of respect from m! It takes a good person to admit being wrong & someone else right. You made my day!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread