New Here

Jim Coulthard

Mar 18, 2014
Box Elder, SD
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, My name is Jim and I am new to the forum. I live just a few miles from the agate beds of western South Dakota and been hunting agates for around 6 years. A friend of mine got me into agate hunting after I moved here from Wisconsin. I have found many Fairburn agates and lots of Bubblegum and prairie agates. And a few fossils. My friend and I take out hunting agates anyone who wants to try rock hunting and people from other states who like to rock hunt. If you are coming to my area and want to rock hunt let me know. Jim DSCF6706.JPG DSCF6707.JPG DSCF6708.JPG DSCF6709.JPG DSCF6710.JPG

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are beautiful!! The colors are amazing! Welcome to Tnet. Hope you share more pics with us.

Upvote 0

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: Hi....welcome! Those are beautiful, do you tumble them or do they come like that?

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim.. In our area there is an abundance of "caramel japers" which yes.. looks like a half chewed caramel candy.. and yes they can be naturally smooth or rough.. most we've found are smooth and we don't need to tumble them. I think in your case.. most lap artist would cut, shape your agate into cabochons.
View attachment 961967
This one would make an excellent cab, reminds me of crazy lace or fancy lace jasper.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jim Coulthard

Mar 18, 2014
Box Elder, SD
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not know anyone out here that cuts rocks. I have a large Fairburn that a lady out here said she would slab for me but she quit after a few cuts as her saw broke leaving me with a half cut agate. I will send a picture of the agate. Jim DSCF6719.JPG DSCF6720.JPG DSCF6721.JPG DSCF6722.JPG
Jim.. In our area there is an abundance of "caramel japers" which yes.. looks like a half chewed caramel candy.. and yes they can be naturally smooth or rough.. most we've found are smooth and we don't need to tumble them. I think in your case.. most lap artist would cut, shape your agate into cabochons.
View attachment 961967
This one would make an excellent cab, reminds me of crazy lace or fancy lace jasper.

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Noted the semi cut in one of the images.. yes agate can be a bear to cut and shape.. thou the last few images looks like these have been reshaped or even tumbled. if you ever need a handful tumbled.. let me or one of the others know.. I wish that I had a slab saw and we just recently sold out Dremel.. which I was attempting to cut and facet a few stone the old fashion way on a "shoestring" budget.. did very well with our homemade system until one of my topaz's decidered to snap in half..

Upvote 0

Loki XXIII

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2020
Rapid City, SD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I've just finished reading this thread. I fond it with I googled if abby agates have been found in Box Elder, SD. I'm glad I did because you say that you take people out rock hunting. I would really love to join you! I've been twice now, up to tje Railroad Buttes, and have found a bubblegum agate and an eye agate. I would really love to find a Fairburn agate! Please let me know if I may join you on a rock hounding adventure. Please and thank you very much!!

Upvote 0

Loki XXIII

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2020
Rapid City, SD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the bad spelling, I'm replying with my phone and the spell check function is slaughtering my spelling!

Upvote 0

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful agates, hope you can get to join them on a hunt!

Upvote 0

Loki XXIII

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2020
Rapid City, SD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, they certainly are beautiful! And I hope that I get to go with an expert or 2 as well! South Dakota is such a great rockhounding area, I will be getting out there even if it's not with these guys! In fact, my next move is to get out on the banks of the Cheyenne river near the beds. I figure that my dogs will enjoy walking around out the as well. I'll tell you, judging from the photos that Jim's posted, he has to know some seriously good spots. I've spent hours going through tje massive agate beds and have yet to even shoot a fortification agate. I'm gonna do my best to make it happen though!

Upvote 0

Loki XXIII

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2020
Rapid City, SD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, they certainly are beautiful! And I hope that I get to go with an expert or 2 as well! South Dakota is such a great rockhounding area, I will be getting out there even if it's not with these guys! In fact, my next move is to get out on the banks of the Cheyenne river near the beds. I figure that my dogs will enjoy walking around out the as well. I'll tell you, judging from the photos that Jim's posted, he has to know some seriously good spots. I've spent hours going through the massive agate beds and have yet to even spot a fortification agate. I'm gonna do my best to make it happen though!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread