• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 149
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 106

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
When I was in high school we took several trips in our half ton truck up to south central Wyo. to collect petrified wood.
It was in a place called Shirley basin. The land was owned by a coal company and they were going to open pit mine the area. All the petrified wood was just going to get barried. So the company opened it up to the public for the summer to collect.
The petrified wood was all over the surface. We didn't find any that was very colorful. But it was in large pieces. Many other people were out there collecting. Some people with big trucks and hoists were hauling out big logs of petrified wood. We had a big big pile in the back yard that we gave away to kids.
If you went out there now you'd get run over by a giant dump truck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
so sad. The place we visited was called blue forest petrified wood because some of it had opalized in to bluish white opal. I think I am due for another trip out there.

Upvote 0

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mamabear
so sad. The place we visited was called blue forest petrified wood because some of it had opalized in to bluish white opal. I think I am due for another trip out there.

we were there a year ago - you need to spend some time there to find anything - it looks like a bombed out area, the holes are everywhere!! yours is a fantastic sample, love the rings!! we worked on a log piece for a few hours, but it just fell apart. there are plenty of small broken bits all over the surface though. the wood was preserved in an algae crust, very different and interesting. I want to go back sometime, as well.

Tigger

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions