What is the most concise and informative resource for a wannabe Rock Hound?

Notsuredomus

Aug 12, 2012
Classic Hill Mine, Siskiyou County
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Whites GMT
Garret ProPointer
Bazooka Gold Trap Super Prospector
Fossicker Production Pan
Proline 3in Dredge/Highbanker Combo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have recently become interested in learning more about Rock Hounding and Geology after seeing a guy with a Geode that he had recently found. That thing was the size of a basketball. It was amazing and I was hooked on the idea of finding my own beautiful specimens of rocks and minerals starting a collection.

Unfortunately the only educational tool on this topic that I have is a Rock and Mineral book which is over 800 pages long. I know it's a complex topic but this medium makes the learn on the fly approach very difficult and research painfully slow. It is also not very practical in the field. My question is this: Is there a spread sheet or an interactive application for windows or a smartphone that will help find and identify rocks and/or minerals in the field as well as at home. It would be great if the program could also be adaptive in the referenced information basing rock/mineral identity on geographic regions as well as hardness, cleave, streak test etc...

OP
OP
N

Notsuredomus

Aug 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Whites GMT
Garret ProPointer
Fossicker Production Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will check out that link right now Thank You Much! StoneWhisper

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Prospecting for gemstones and minerals - John Sinkankas
Rock and Rock minerals - Skinner

I'm not sure I got the author right on the latter. But those are two good reference books.

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Books are only really good for some learning. I think you should find a local mineral or rock hound club and join up. Attend gem and mineral shows and get hands on learning and experience. If you are in Oregon as your stats suggest there are gem and mineral shows every couple of weeks in your state. Oregon is one of the finest states for rock hounding, you should have a lot of fun hunting around there. There are also a lot of clubs in OR, look them up and attend some meetings, you'll find a lot of friendly and helpful folks there. "Gem and Mineral" magazine has a show date and location page on their website, you can find shows near you by looking there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Notsuredomus

Aug 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Whites GMT
Garret ProPointer
Fossicker Production Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Stone Whisperer that is a great site. Thanks for the tip. I notice in your profile you are a mushroom hunter as well. Know of any good sites for that as well I live in Northern Ca. Prime location for quite a few types of Mushrooms and a couple genus of truffle.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Notsuredomus

Aug 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Whites GMT
Garret ProPointer
Fossicker Production Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK Eu Citzen I will look them up and thanks much for your response it is appreciated

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Notsuredomus

Aug 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Whites GMT
Garret ProPointer
Fossicker Production Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gunsil your close enough. I am at the last private property on grayback road before your hit the Oregon border. I plan to do just what you suggested as soon as I can get my car repaired. I live in a Yurt and have to park my car on the road a 1/4 mile or so away because I don't have the clearance to get up here. The damn things been broken into 3 times had the gas drained and been vandalized once. So I have to hide it down another better maintained forest service road. I still didn't have enough clearance and punched a hole in my oil pan. I repaired it and filled it with oil which seems to be holding but the check oil light and buzzer still keeps going off. I don't know what to make of it, but figure I better not drive it until I get it figured out. Thanks for your reply I appreciate the help.

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually that's a very interesting story.. If anyone cares that I sort of side track/hijack the thread.. Anyway.. I started out just photographing the shrooms.. and posting the images on one of my failed sites.. but during that time I noticed a few hits and comments. All of them coming from a fellow who just so happen to be one of my favorite musicians.. Robert Rich. Prob none of you have ever heard of him.. But I have.. He creates "Ambient" or "Electronic" music which is something I enjoy listening to. So I took him up on visiting his site.. sure he had music but I didn't know he was into mycology also.. wow two hits in one.. His site: Robert's Mushroom Cookbook

Lastly, a few years ago. I submitted a suggestion via Treasurenet asking them to create an area for those of us who collect mushrooms.. I still feel this is a valid topic area.. because allot of shrooms are very valuable..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What gunsil said about joining a local club, especially if they do fieldtrips. Local museum, rock shops... plus, whenever we leave our state, I google our destination to see what's there. This website is very helpful: America's Best Rockhounding Website | Gator Girl Rocks
I like to see what each state's rock, gemstone, mineral, etc. is, because you are bound to find some of them in that state. And collect what you like. Be safe, take a buddy or tell someone where you'll be. But mostly, have fun!!

Upvote 0

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get all the "Gem Trails" Books. Such as Gem Trails Calif.....Gem Trails Utah......Gem Trails Nevada....etc etc etc. You wont go wrong and they will keep you very busy.

Bejay

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread