Went lookin for Tourmaline again today.

wilfndgold

Aug 29, 2013
perris, ca
Detector(s) used
garret
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looked for Tourm out here in Perris today found these on the Pegmatite vein Ive been digging on as you can see a lot of its easy pickins. Was able to grab at least a hundred of the smaller ones And a lot of the bigger ones Got a few complete crystals ones prety big. Not bad HUH? P3292441.JPG P3292437.JPG P3292439.JPG P3292440.JPG P3292444.JPG P3292446.JPG P3292447.JPG

JLeonhardy

Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some good schist, man! Sorry, couldn't resist. Any of those deep green?

Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a lot of pegmatite in the Western part of Anza-Borrego. Still in the park, just before you go over the hill to Vallecito. I found a chunk a few years ago about four or five inches long if I recall correctly.

Best - Mike

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Even some of the blackest looking tourmaline can be classified as green when examined closer.. but what could be happening in the images above unless these where simply unearthed.. one cant tell.. But it these had just been laying on top of the soil for years.. the tourmaline would start to age, weather and turn the deep dark black seen here. Care must be taken if one is to attempt to remove these exposed wands/crystals. Typically when we explore the gem mines we end up wit broken bits from strands like this because whom ever extracted them didn't or doesn't care.

Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are great finds Gary, trust me. There is a market for Schorl, it's quantity, not quality though. Of course if you get some great specimens they are going to be worth $$.

Have a look at this beauty last weekend from the Himalaya dig. 16gms, 80carats reverse watermelon. Looks purple because the pink is thin. Have some other great specimens. I'm getting addicted to this stuff.

photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions