Is This Blue Lapis Lazuli On Brooch

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have this brooch with a oval marbled effect central blue scabachon tone gem stone with a sterling silver rim. I believe this is from the early 1900's, 1900 - 1920 era. In trying to determine exactly what this blue stone is and the closest I could find is the Lapis Lazuli.

Is this it or ???......All opinions appreciated...

B1.JPG B2.JPG B3.JPG B4.JPG

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Could be a form of Blue Tortoise Shell. Thou I feel it's man made during the art nouveau period.

Going to edit.. my art nouveau.. I was a few years off.. Lets suggest the 1950's or earlier resin cast bubble plastic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't look like any lapis I ever seen. I got no other guess either, maybe what StoneWhisperer said.
Is it glass or plastic? Are you able to tap it on your teeth to tell? (that's how I do it, usually)
Sorry I'm not further help, maybe EU Citizen will be along soon. He really knows his rocks, as well as a few others.
GL and HH!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
StoneWhisper great thought and one I would not have thought of, however looking under the microscope it does not appear to be (mind you I've never seen blue tortoise shell)..

pat-tekker-cat, thanks and excellent point and after looking under the microscope I can see scratches that says it is plastic....

Close up picture attached that show scratches....(picture may be a bit blurry as my lense has a scratch)..From the close up I do not recognize the pattern...

CL2.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a form of Blue Tortoise Shell. Thou I feel it's man made during the art nouveau period.

Going to edit.. my art nouveau.. I was a few years off.. Lets suggest the 1950's or earlier resin cast bubble plastic.

It may very well be. While researching the style and setting it looks similar to the Ruskin period as on the link: Arts & Crafts Period Ruskins

What ever it turns out to be I think it's a cool piece to collect...

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It sure looks suspicious, almost non natural. Perhaps a dyed howlite to imitate turquoise? Although it looks unusually dark for that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks CK.....just one of those impulse buys for my assorted collection...

It sure looks suspicious, almost non natural. Perhaps a dyed howlite to imitate turquoise? Although it looks unusually dark for that.

Thanks Eu_citzen, I think you nailed it with Howlite as doing further research I found an example of polished howlite ( picture attached )..I think this brooch may have been artificially colored the dark blue..Thanks again...

H.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks alot like some of the guitar picks and other music paraphenalia from the 50s and 60s. cool anyways

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread