Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"Practical Uses of Fluorescence in Minerals"

"Fluorescence has some practical uses in mining, gemology, petrology and mineralogy. The mineral scheelite, an ore of tungsten, typically has a bright blue fluorescence. Geologists prospecting for scheelite sometimes go out at night with fluorescent lamps to look for deposits. They also use fluorescent lamps to examine core specimens and well cuttings. These exploration procedures have also been used for other minerals.

Fluorescent lamps can be used in underground mines to identify and trace ore-bearing rocks. They have also been used on picking lines to quickly spot valuable pieces of ore and separate them from waste. Many gemstones are sometimes fluorescent including: ruby, kunzite, diamond and opal. This property can sometimes be used to spot small stones in sediment or crushed ore. It can also be a way to associate stones with a mining locality."

I recall as just a young boy my grandfather searching for major tungsten deposits.

Bejay

OP
OP
B

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Prospecting with a black light
My grandfather was a desert prospector and he spent a lot of time out in the desert looking for highly mineralized zones.
During the day it is easy to walk past areas that have extreme mineralization. He knew that high mineralized fluorescent zones were associated with other minerals of value.

So in 1950 he invested in a prospectors black light. It had a battery pack that fastened to his belt and it powered a hand held "wand" powerful black light. I own the unit to this day...unfortunately I broke the lens and have to have one custom made....but the Southern Calif company who made it in 1950 is now in Seattle Wash.

My grandfather would venture out into the desert at night seeking to find fluorescent minerals. He would carry marker sticks and labeled bags in which he could place samples. When he found a fluorescent area he would post it with a stake/flag pole and place samples in his bag. He could visit the area again during the day.

Such fluorescent areas are NOT noticed during the daytime. The samples always varied and I'll post a link to help visualize what one can see at night prospecting with the right black light.
Fluorescent Minerals and Rocks: They Glow under UV Light!

Additionally along the Columbia river in Oregon one could go out at night and use the black light on the dredge spoils and find valuable gems. It was thought that pirate ships trying to escape the law would toss trunks of heavies into the river to relieve ballast and outrun the law (ships). Not sure on the validity of the speculation but I did see highly prized gems that were found by a neighbor man...as I was just a youngin at the time.

Bejay

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've never used UV as an active part in prospecting, mostly because the terrain here doesn't allow that.
I know a few prospectors that though have and do use it as an active part in their search. Some even just look through their concentrates after panning with a blacklight.

Upvote 0

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...interesting information...also helps to see those pesky scorpions...:alien:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions