* Pink Rock *...question...what are they?

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these two Pink/flesh colored odd rocks...only ones I've found like them and one is really weird looking! Small one 1 inch and looks like it's grey underneath with pink over it. Larger one is solid pink/red and inch & half....so what are they? :dontknow:

RSCN8450.JPG RSCN8447.JPG RSCN8448.JPG RSCN8369.JPG RSCN8452.JPG ....this last pic. is the small one even though looks large. :)

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....want to add that even though they look a similar color, they seems very different in a way. I like how the large one looks "mushroomy". :laughing7:...maybe fossil...kidding!

Upvote 0

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice & different............I'm going to take a stab at Fire Agate With Chalcedony Layer...If memory serves me correct you have found some very nice fire agate also...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....want to add that even though they look a similar color, they seems very different in a way. I like how the large one looks "mushroomy". :laughing7:...maybe fossil...kidding!

Nice stuff there Kat. Kinda looks like well I guess I cant say.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cariboo5....not fire agate...am familiar with that. The small one is some type of nodule clusters, which I do have...just not "pink"...so..? The larger mushroom one is opaque, not agate like at all...just odd & pink...??? Thanks for trying!

rock...thanks & I can't guess what either! :)

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Calcedony or opal would be my best guess.

Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
kat
I believe they are amygdules of chalcedony.
Amygdules are gas pockets in volcanic rock that later is filled with other minerals, often chalcedony. Hence the strange shapes.

Upvote 0

JLeonhardy

Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leaning towards the pink chalcedony answer, but the botroydal form seems unusual!

You find the *nicest* (and strangest) rocks!

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would it be a bad thing to crack 1 open?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lot's of answers....thanks you guys! So the majority say "chalcedony", if it is....it's a very different kind than I'm use to. Because it's opaque & dullish compared to all my other chalcedony, maybe there are these types and this is my first?

Eu...opal?

Bajahunter.....maybe....if only I could see another pic that they look like, will do some more looking.

JLeonhardy.....thank you and yup got some :alien: ones...lol

waxy luster....is that a joke...it (small one) does look like popcorn though! I'll look that up just incase...lol

rock....:)....we'll see, it may come down to that!

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to think of cracking anything that has a nice form to it but if you have more than 1 then it could really help in deciding as to what it is. Maybe cut 1 open if you have that type of a tool. Then you could always glue it back.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...thanks for that rock, might not have to cut it now! I did some looking and think that the "chalcedony guys" got it right. I looked up Bajahunter's "amygdules of chalcedony" and found this picture that looks kind of like it....so thanks guys!
IMG_2768.JPG ....and also looked up the waxy luster's one...got me.:laughing7:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread