Jaspers and Jades and Agates, Oh My!

JLeonhardy

Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent a couple of nights up at Patricks Point State Park, one of the more popular beach agate sites in Norcal. I like to hit the spring neap tides for jade/serpentine combos. I'm especially fond of a couple of Jade/Citrine combos I've found. Only two stones in six trips over three years. None this trip, but always a productive trip if you like variety in your sand scores!

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 189

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...pretty stones...makes me hungry for "rock candy".:laughing7: Really like the lavender ones!

Upvote 0

jackiedanger

Apr 7, 2014
Foresthill, Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent a couple of nights up at Patricks Point State Park, one of the more popular beach agate sites in Norcal. I like to hit the spring neap tides for jade/serpentine combos. I'm especially fond of a couple of Jade/Citrine combos I've found. Only two stones in six trips over three years. None this trip, but always a productive trip if you like variety in your sand scores!

Those are beautiful! I have been wanting to hunt for agates since I moved to Norcal. I'm in Placer County. Do you know if theres any where around here I can look? Thanks for sharing. Would love to see the citrine/jade combo.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JLeonhardy

Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning Jackie,

I don't usually hunt agates, so I'm not up on all of the locations. Were I where you're at, I'd pop over the hill on the 80 to Verdi, cut back to California through Dog Valley and spend some time on Crystal Peak. This is a quartz batholith that has been upthrust and is a hill of solid quartz. Overburden ranges from a few inches to a couple feet. Get down to the base rock on the steepest face of the hill and start popping it off with a gad and you'll be in crystal for daaaaays. There's a nice little campground less than an 1/8th of a mile away, too, but I usually base camp at the foot of the hill. Crystal Peak Hole 2.jpg Crystal Peak Vug2.jpg Crystal Peak Vug 4.jpg Crystal Peak Find.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JLeonhardy

Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a copper clay -- a Chlorite variation of some kind, I think. Some of the crystals you find are so infused with it they're green! For the most part, though, it dissolves in the tumbler, though I've found a *few* pieces that are about a 4+ on the mohs scale and was able to polish them. Some of the pieces that are of a lesser hardness carve nicely with a pocket knife.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread