Can anyone identify the dark green on this crystal.

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This rock was dirty couldn't tell much about it so I let it soak in Super Ironout for two days and this dark green stuff was on it that I could not see before. Here are a few pictures of it from different angles. Thanks all. Strange crystal rock dark green 001.JPG Strange crystal rock dark green 002.JPG Strange crystal rock dark green 003.JPG Strange crystal rock dark green 004.JPG Strange crystal rock dark green 005.JPG Strange crystal rock dark green 006.JPG Strange crystal rock dark green 008.JPG

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was the dark green there before you soaked it?
and do you have pics of before cleaning?
nice looking piece
HH

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was the dark green there before you soaked it?
and do you have pics of before cleaning?
nice looking piece
HH

no pic's before cleaning it wasn't sure it was anything too much dirt yes it was there before cleaning . thanks for reply sliverofsilver. Sure is rough to the touch. Got to looking at it through a 50x loop and it has green and blue specks refracting back and orange too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do a streak test first to eliminate some possibilities. Does it look metallic?

Upvote 0

Turkısh Man

Sep 17, 2012
Turkey
Detector(s) used
Gold Master +Carl Anderson PMR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Molybdenum mineral on quartz.
Mineral hardnes 1.5-3,metallic hardnes 5.5

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eu citzen, Streak is white and when i turn the rock this green blue coating has a shine to it. When looking at it through a loop the coating has needle points all over it that shine. Has green and blue needle points in it shining and reflecting back.Feels like sandpaper to the touch but its got a good hold on this crystal Eu.The crystal rock that is showing has a blue tint to it but when held against a light the the light shows all the way through it and it is white then except it does not shine through the coating. Thanks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The main host is of course a Crystal Pointed Quartz, The attached material/substance is unknown..

Hey StoneWhisper you got that right as far as unknown. In all my searching i dont have anything like this. If you come up with anymore ideas let me know. Thanks buddy.

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
@G Freeman..

Had to research back to my old account on Mindat.. At that time we were discussing the Liberty Reservoir which is local to my area.. within that topic, I recall one user indicating that the stone he found (like yours only the white quartz) were covered in a schist mainly a talc schist.. so there is your answer.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could be clay or a very very fine grained Mica or even a clay. Such fine grained materials are tricky, you'd be better off asking someone locally to look at it. :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread