Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi
I live in north Georgia and im more of a gold prospector but Georgia is rich in gems too
so I feel like its a waste of my time to not recover them.
but what I cant find is maps on deposits or maybe charts so I can learn to identify gems, let alone which ones are found in Georgia
where can I learn about gems?
any help is appreciated

Buy a gem book or YouTube videos

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The library or a book store will yield you good references for starting out. If you have a rockhound club or lapidary club near you it would be worth the visit to talk to those folks. You can also visit the states mineral society online or look at other online references under Georgia Minerals.
I used the library primarily and a lot of foot work before I went to the local rock an mineral club. Of course this was back in the day before the internet ;) Don't get lazy books are good things and the folks at a club will teach you things you'll never find on the net. Luck to ya.

Upvote 0

prospect007

Mar 16, 2014
western us
Detector(s) used
minelab 4000,fisher gb2,f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try usgs (geologic survey) with google earth for different ages of rocks. learn what gems are associated with what rock type. the geologic survey will kind of show you where those rock types are located.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread