1st finds

OldScout

Jun 19, 2014
Southwest Ohio, Indiana, KY area
Detector(s) used
Magnifying glass
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been waiting years to meet a geologist and it just hit me that perhaps there is a forum for that. Yup. I really enjoy searching for stuff along rivers, creeks. I have looked all over the internet to figure out what this is but can't find anything. If someone can help, I would be most appreciative. Glad to find this forum. Nice to meet ya. Jeb.

The first is a rock I guess, never have found anything like it or like the other where I look. Is the first a piece of glass? It is rainbow-pearlike on the surface of some facets. It is semi clear. But then had those grooves cut into it. I don't know why it wasn't smashed to pieces in the river if it was glass-never see anything like it at the river. The other one is green on the outside and smooth and looks like rock inside a rock? It is strange. Like someone coated a rock with something. Inside is white and crystally.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Thanks so very much! Jeb.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Met Oldscout and welcome to the forum.

Your first bit is a bit of broken rock crystal, quartz, and your second bit is milky quartz with some crystallization on its host rock~ possibly granite or hard limestone. Not uncommon things to find creeking ;) I suggest you pick up a book or two on rock and mineral identification to help ease you into the hobby. You could be walking by some other stuff that might hold your interest as well ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

OldScout

Jun 19, 2014
Southwest Ohio, Indiana, KY area
Detector(s) used
Magnifying glass
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the warm welcome! Thanks for taking the time to help id. I am pretty excited, never having found a piece of quartz like this before, ever in my lifetime in fact. I was just hoping it wasn't broken glass. Thanks again and I will look for a few good books. I spend too much time looking down...and to think I might be missing some good stuff all this time!

Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with DD, however is that table walnut? Looks a bit like zebra wood. Nice table you got there. If you tell me it's laminate I'm gonna fall over.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread