Anyone know what this one is?

Rattlehead

Dec 16, 2010
Byron Center, MI
I found this rock in Lake Michigan, Michigan side. It is rather soft (softer than a Petoskey I would guess) and light. The stand is the natural rock pretty much looks as found. Sphere is made from same rock. Polishes to a matte finish Any ideas?

10497099_683851264997710_7384653127525080443_o.jpg

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant say as I can make a good guess with that one Rattlehead. The polished sphere has a layered look that suggests sedimentary rock and the base bit is fairly uniform. Possibly vitrified sediment. Harder than chalk but not dense enough to be considered a solid silicate. Maybe someone else can pin it down. That area of the country is known for some unusual stuff due to glacial deposits. Nice work.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to agree with DDancer on the composition of the rock as I have seen somewhat similar specimens, although they were usually in slabs! Due to the softness of the material and not being able to obtain a high gloss when polishing it, have you thought about stabilizing it in the same manner that Turquoise is stablized? I believe that if the stabilizing process works on your' stones, you will end up with a great result. In that, I mean that the material will be hardened and more susceptible to a high gloss polished finish which will compliment some of the other beautiful pieces that you have made.

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you find a piece your not to afraid to test, do an test with acid. See if it starts to bubble and fizzle.
Check under a loupe to see how the polished surface looks, do "grains" miss, as in forming small pits?

Scratch test with a knife.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread