Crumbly, white, oval shaped rock(?)

Xirenia

Jul 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting here. I found this strange rock(?) on the shore of Lake Michigan while vacationing in Manistee last weekend. It's chalky white in color and sparkles in the sunlight. It's slightly shorter than a AA battery and can be chipped away by my fingernail at the rough end. I've never seen something like it and thought I'd try to find someone who knows what it is. Is it just a lump of hardened sand? I have zero experience identifying rocks, so I apologize if this is a dumb question. Thank y'all in advance.

Attachments

• 20140702_005025.jpg
    20140702_005025.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 82
  • 20140702_004944.jpg
    20140702_004944.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
  • 20140702_004901.jpg
    20140702_004901.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 83

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like a calcified and somewhat pertrified ancient seed that may have been on the Lake bed, became dislodged and washed ashore.

Frank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
X

Xirenia

Jul 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input, Frank. It would be very cool if that's what it is. I can't find anything else like it online, but my searches might be too vague.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the input, Frank. It would be very cool if that's what it is. I can't find anything else like it online, but my searches might be too vague.

I am not sure that is what it is! It might even have been a fruit that dried, got covered over by silt and mud, then calcified. Hopefully DDancer will come on and have some ideas about what it is! Sometimes I just throw out theories which are often wrong but sometimes right on.

Frank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
X

Xirenia

Jul 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure that is what it is! It might even have been a fruit that dried, got covered over by silt and mud, then calcified. Hopefully DDancer will come on and have some ideas about what it is! Sometimes I just throw out theories which are often wrong but sometimes right on.

Frank

I appreciate you taking the time to guess at what it could be :) Hopefully someone else will have an idea of what it might be as well. I'd like to crack it open just to see what's in there...

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a sandstone concretion that's been rounded by water. Or its just sandstone that has eroded into its present shape by the action of the water in the lake. If the bits you can break off with your finger have a grainy texture that would be simple sand. As huntsman said its probably held together by a calcium material like chalk. If you do break it I would not mind seeing the inside. Just judging by the exterior view I think it will probably be pretty uniform all the way thru. Personally I'd keep it like it is ;)

Thanks for the vote of confidence Hunstman. Some of our guesses are as good as any. Hehh.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
X

Xirenia

Jul 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a sandstone concretion that's been rounded by water. Or its just sandstone that has eroded into its present shape by the action of the water in the lake. If the bits you can break off with your finger have a grainy texture that would be simple sand. As huntsman said its probably held together by a calcium material like chalk. If you do break it I would not mind seeing the inside. Just judging by the exterior view I think it will probably be pretty uniform all the way thru. Personally I'd keep it like it is ;)

Thanks for the vote of confidence Hunstman. Some of our guesses are as good as any. Hehh.

Thanks for the reply :) I think I'll keep it intact. It's got a cool look to it and my son carries it around as his dinosaur egg, lol.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be gluing eye ball buttons on it next and maybe a little tail.... pet rocks are so adorable. :) Hahh. Enjoy maybe he'll get a baby dino for his efforts as well. Enjoy

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread