Pretty Pink Rock

RScott

Jun 25, 2014
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks in advance -I found this rock while standing in one of Western NC's trout stream, I am always looking down, always looking for neat things. This one was so easy to see as it stood out like a sore thumb. I thought it was going to be a piece of trash plastic, but dipped it up in my net. Sits on my tying desk and I have always wondered what it really is....

I thought it may be an agate due to a section of it being almost translucent gray. Any help is appreciated....Scott

OP
OP
R

RScott

Jun 25, 2014
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks StoneWhisper - ruby is my birth gemstone. How common are they in NC?

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks StoneWhisper - ruby is my birth gemstone. How common are they in NC?

Rubies and Sapphires are fairly common in quite a few areas of North Carolina. However, stream tumbled and polished stones as nice as the one you found, are not very common. That one will make a nice pendant setting.

Frank

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To me it has a resemblance of agate often found tumbled in tourist shops.
I'm guessing agate.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am almost certain that it is a stream tumbled Reddish/Pink Ruby or Sapphire if you want to call it that due to it's color and not Pink Agate! I have Gem prospected in quite a few different locations in North Carolina and the Rubies and Sapphires there, have a sheen that most other Gems and Rocks do not have whether they come out of the ground, stream or river. Also, in all of my Gem prospecting trips to North Carolina, I have never encountered Agates of that color nor have I seen any Agates that were native to North Carolina that were that color. I am not saying that they with 100% certainty do not exist in North Carolina but it would be rare. I have found Sapphire matrix on Chunky Gal Mountain in North carolina that formed in cracks and pockets of it's host rocks, Smaragdite and were colored by some of the same compounds that colored the Smaragdite. They were dark greenish/blue or medium greenish/blue with hints of greys in them and due to the Aluminum that is also common to this same area, the cabachoned stones from this matrix are absolutely beautiful as they sparkle. Fairly large veins of Aventurine are also found in this same area and is sometimes mixed in the same host rocks (Smaragdite) that the Rubies and Sapphires are found.

https://www.google.com/search?q=raw...&bih=512#q=raw+north+carolina+rubies&tbm=isch

https://www.google.com/search?q=nor...L5oATCoIKgAw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAw&biw=1350&bih=512

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have never been to NC, but the colour zoning looks wrong for corundum IMHO.

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Although the image is a bit small and was the only image I have left of any star rubies.. One of my own hand cut and polished star's then handing it over to my wife to wire wrap. I think one can say.. the above naturally tumbled stones fits this same characteristics and color..

Star+Ruby+Pendant.jpg

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I have found quite a few Corundum barrel crystals that have similar color zoning throughout them and range from Pinks to dark Reds to Browns and even almost Black or Orange.

Frank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RScott

Jun 25, 2014
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although the image is a bit small and was the only image I have left of any star rubies.. One of my own hand cut and polished star's then handing it over to my wife to wire wrap. I think one can say.. the above naturally tumbled stones fits this same characteristics and color..

View attachment 1019898

That stone looks almost identical to the color and shine (?) of my rock. Just a question - would it be possible or smart to have my rock cut into three pieces for necklaces for my wife and two daughters? It's kind of big for a pendant, maybe not. Just so new to this that I have a lot more questions than clues

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
If you're asking me to cut the stone for you.. I'm not able to do so any more.. But yes.. cut the stone is very smart assuming one can get three sections out of it.. in my image.. the Star Ruby was approx the size of a pencil eraser.. in your image.. it's unclear what size the stone is.

If you can find someone good enough to do this.. you could have them cut the sections into three parts that could fit as a puzzle but not really.. or one large one for the wife and the two smaller for the kids.. But again I've free formed star rubies before so they are tough to work with. Typically, a shop like Gem Mountain NC would charge about $80 - $100 per stone to cut then polish.. and would take anywhere from 3 weeks to a month to complete.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RScott

Jun 25, 2014
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SW - Not specifically asking you, just wondering if it would be smart or possible. I have had this rock a long time, but the option of having a pendant made for my girls out of something that is very memorable to me, just sounds exciting and a cool thing to do, kind of like starting an heirloom.

PS - my rock is about as big as the end of my thumb and about as thick. The hole you see in the picture is a pegboard display hook hole - about as big as an eraser. Thanks again

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Having the Gem cut presents a few problems that I see! 1) There is always going to be loss with cutting any Gem or stone for that matter, it is inevitable. 2) There is risk that the Gem could badly fracture along the already present fracture lines. 3) With cutting and fracturing (some of which is also inevitable) with such a Gem with several fracturing lines, will there be enough to complete 2 smaller and 1 larger cabochoned Gems? 4) Considering everything in the previous sentence, will there be enough of a Gem to create even 2 cabochoned Gems? 5) With a Gem such as yours', the Cutter may find it hard to determine it's true cleavage because it is no longer a Ruby/Sapphire crystal. If the cleavage cannot be determined, it is possible that the Gem could be totally shattered. These are things you need to consider and discuss with a professional that may do the cutting and cabochoning before you destroy a beautiful and naturally made Gem.

Understanding Gemstone Cleavage

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Corundum doesn't have cleavage, but has direction related hardness. That's about the only worry when cutting corundum, should your sample be one. (I'm still sceptical)

I think its to small to cut in 3 just guessing from the pictures.

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I've borrowed one of the images from above.. and laid out a plan of attack..
imageedit_4_4085824619.jpg

Because the stones already has a hairline fracture..(right side line) just seems fitting to cut the stone from that location.. using the top half.. which is the larger piece.. this would be enough for a pendant for the wife.. as for the left and right for the children.. thou I've marked possible cut lines with the white line.. I would cut the larger part away first.. then see what's left.

Upvote 0

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks pretty much like pink sapphire, I found one almost identical in color on my farm at Treasure Valley in Western NC and had my wife a necklace made with it, there is a picture of it in the American Rockhounds Magazine which just came out.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread