fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Depends on what kind of beryl, as in what gave the beryl its colour. Pegmatites are known for beryls, but are far from alone. :)

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
About the only thing I can offer you is that beryl is known to have or be in a hexagonal shape.. (stop sign) yet can be found as long as 10 feet or more and range in a variety of colors.. The most prized Beryl would be the golden yellow/orange which when cut could appear to be a topaz.. But seeing how my wife's eyes are baby blue.. I'll stick with the pale blue beryl. As of yet, I've never found one.. thou came close in this post: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/rocks-gems/423132-rock-mineral-photo-techniques-refersher.html

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usgs says we have pegamite, muscovite, mica schist, quartz, feldspar etc. Tourmaline,corundum, beryl, staulolite (fairy crosses)

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usgs says we have pegamite, muscovite, mica schist, quartz, feldspar etc. Tourmaline,corundum, beryl, staulolite (fairy crosses)

Just to clarify. Pegmatite and mica schist are rocks. Muscovite, quartz, feldspar, tourmaline, corundum (ie. ruby and sapphire), beryl ( ie. aquamarine, emerald, bixbite or bixbyte) staurolite are minerals.

Beryl is a mineral found in pegmatites. Depending on the elements introduced into the environment while beryl the mineral is forming is going to determine what color the mineral is going to be. For example if chromium is introduced into the system as beryl is forming more than likely the mineral will be beryl var. emerald.

Rock and mineral hunting is a great hobby and passion. Below are some resources that can be found on the subject.

Mindat.org
Gpaa.org
Usgs.gov
Amaturegologist.com
Lmine.com this is a good site for tools

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Good luck and happy hunting. Brian T.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Just outside of Burnsville, NC is the old Ray Mica Mine and most of the Beryl found there, is found in Feldspar which has Mica, Quartz, Tourmaline, Garnet, Amazonite and who knows what else in it. Most of the Beryl from the tailings from the Mica mining are light green, light greenish/blue and clear. Ever so often a pink, orangish/pink or a true Aquamarine specimen will be found in the tailings or creek.

Frank

Upvote 0

southernbell

Sep 8, 2013
Southwestern,VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to tell gem ores apart always thought everything in my area was quartz finally got a local to test my stones and found out most are really Topaz It was G-8 something test professional opinions and test are really welcome and appreciated because everyone is quick to tell you that your stuff is nothing thanks for everyones time

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions