Buyer Beware

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Buyer Beware: Advertised as Aquamarine

Here is a perfect example of what not to do when buying rocks and minerals from unknown sources..

I found this Google+ user who was so excited about her just recently purchased crystal cluster;

f1c53d63b224cbfa4b80c26c9c69a947.jpg
She goes on to say that the vendor told her that this crystal cluster was Aquamarine and she paid nearly $7,300 for it.. Right off I could tell something was clearly wrong..

The Dead Give a Ways:

1. The color of the crystals isn't right.. The colors sort rest on top of the crystals and isn't through and through..
  2. Typically and very rarely Aquamarine is found with crystal point clusters..
  3. Because Aquamarine is part of the Beryl family, The crystals structure is more irregular shaped thou in long simi-hexigonal strands

So what is this?.. it's called a "Aqua Aura Quartz" and the colorization comes for adding gold to the coloring process.. Clearly the Aqua Aura is not valued anywhere near that of the Aquamarine..

Last edited:

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is a perfect example of what not to do when buying rocks and minerals from unknown sources.. I found this Google+ user who was so excited about her just recently purchased crystal cluster; She goes on to say that the vendor told her that this crystal cluster was Aquamarine and she paid nearly $7,300 for it.. Right off I could tell something was clearly wrong.. The Dead Give a Ways: [*]The color of the crystals isn't right.. The colors sort rest on top of the crystals and isn't through and through.. [*]Typically and very rarely Aquamarine is found with crystal point clusters.. Because Aquamarine is part of the Beryl family, The crystals structure is more irregular shaped thou in long simi-hexigonal strands So what is this?.. it's called a "Aqua Aura Quartz" and the colorization comes for adding gold to the coloring process.. Clearly the Aqua Aura is not valued anywhere near that of the Aquamarine..

Its too bad...looks quite nice

Upvote 0

DixieLandMan

Sep 18, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, White's MXT, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is really nice looking but not $7300 worth of pretty.

Upvote 0

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think the buyer would have a case for theft or fraud by deception.
She was sold a "fake" Aquamarine. The seller prolly has a bag of pyrite selling as "gold nuggets" tool
Buyer beware(?), I would think "seller beware" also! Some ppl take their own brands of justice, instead of going through the proper judicial channels, when these things happen to them.

eta: SW, that's real nice of you to offer your services. Thank you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StoneWhisper

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a Update:

Since posting this.. I've return to Google+ and that questionable post and noticed it was removed by the original poster.. I was very fortunate to have reposted this to my own page as a reference to this I was then able to trace it back to the original posted and gain new insight about her store front.
Otherwise.. It's unclear if the owner of that store front was attempted to sell this as an Aquamarine or simply posted that they bought this Aquamarine (Aqua Aura Quartz) at this unheard of price..

Attention:

Upon Our Travels, If we are in your area and you need assistance in selecting a stone of crystal from a shop.. Please let me know and I'll gladdy assist you in your purchase.. Otherwise, Take someone with you to these gem shows. flea markets etc that are more knowledgeable about these discolorations, heat treated or colorized fakes/substitutes..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
StoneWhisper

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Update II: editorial

So after posting this.. at several other rock sites.. the post has been removed by the one who posted it in the first place.. thou soon after removing this.. my Google+ account was starting to experienced issues, failed logins, screen errors, etc.. I have always expected that mineral vendors or at least those who are attempting to profit of those unknowing souls, dislike me to the point where they.. we you get the picture and I can't prove this.. yet.. I do feel it's odd that soon after I post this "things" start happening..
I will continue to be a watchdog for the little guy and although I may not catch everything.. I've very tempted to post the vendors home page seeing that she still have "questionable" items for sale on her page.. But I will not stoop to her level.. But as I stated above.. One will need to go to these shows within a group setting or seek the support of someone who know a few tricks of the trade and speak within the group as to verify what something is.. going at it alone (unless your good) will only give sneaky vendors a clue that you might just be "easy bait"
As a reminder. the name StoneWhisper means a few things to allot of people.. some I will not repeat.. But over all.. there are a few of my followers who use these stones/crystals in their rituals.. take for instance the "breastplate of aaron" that represents the houses of Arab descent etc.. even in Christan wardrobe, staves and holy chalice, crystals and stones are used today.. So without knowing what one is purchasing.. these rituals arent offering those who do them any benefit.
So if your a vendor and you frequent Treasurenet and you see my text.. you know what I'm looking for.. Best mind ones P's & Q's if one wish to sell anything to those with the knowledge and experience to back it up.. Otherwise.. go sell your items to those unknowing souls in third world countries..

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions