Rock Id help.

OldScout

Jun 19, 2014
Southwest Ohio, Indiana, KY area
Detector(s) used
Magnifying glass
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello and thanks for the assistance. I find this rock in the riverbed while rock hunting yesterday. I am curious as to what it is. As far as rocks in this river, it is fairly uncommon, but several pieces can be found over a few hours. It seems rather light compared to other rocks and "feels" different when held. Some pretty color patterns. Although the rocks may look different I believe they are all the same thing. Thank you for any help. Found in ohio-Indiana area.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    799.4 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    913.1 KB · Views: 77

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
The banded patterns could mean an agate based mineral/stone, while the others are limestone or quartz based.. Nothing out of the ordinary.. Thou with the proper care and tumbling a few of those samples could produce fair results.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

OldScout

Jun 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Magnifying glass
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for taking a look. I appreciate it. As of right now, I don't know of anything in my area that would be considered out of the ordinary. This area is a bit disappointing for exciting rock finds (as far as I am currently aware), but I still enjoy looking and learning about the rocks that stand out when I am looking. Good fun.

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, your profile doesn't suggest where you live, thus I (we) can't make an actuate assumption as to what might be in your area.. as I said.. you have a few nice samples that if one was to cut or shape then tumbler/polish would end up turning out very nicely.
The simply fact that you're searching in a stream or river would only reveal that over time one might just find something of value at least to you and not monetary.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

OldScout

Jun 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Magnifying glass
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, profile updated. I included my searching location in a different post, forgot it was not this one. Southwest ohio is where I primarily search. Tri-state area where ohio ky and Indiana meet.

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that you've adjust your profile.. I can understand your reference to your location as being less than profitable.. I believe the last we were in Ohio or there abouts.. we stayed at Findley state park and we didn't have any luck with neighboring areas when searching for minerals.. No on the other hand.. while traveling through KY.. and because of the coal mine areas.. I can see one doing a bit more searching based on the location.. Diamonds..
If this stream creek bed is near your dwelling.. I would set up shop and systematically sift through some of what the stream has to offer.. a sifting tray (box with a mesh screen) would by used in this case.. Typically Garnets, Sapphires, Rubies etc can be found within the stream/river areas..

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that you've adjust your profile.. I can understand your reference to your location as being less than profitable.. I believe the last we were in Ohio or there abouts.. we stayed at Findley state park and we didn't have any luck with neighboring areas when searching for minerals.. No on the other hand.. while traveling through KY.. and because of the coal mine areas.. I can see one doing a bit more searching based on the location.. Diamonds.. If this stream creek bed is near your dwelling.. I would set up shop and systematically sift through some of what the stream has to offer.. a sifting tray (box with a mesh screen) would by used in this case.. Typically Garnets, Sapphires, Rubies etc can be found within the stream/river areas..

StoneWhisper,

Please do not take what I'm about to say the wrong way. I just want to educate people on rocks and this awesome discipline we call Geology.

Diamonds are not associated with coal. Diamonds are formed in high pressure and high temps. Diamonds are found in kimberlites. As far as Illinois, Kentucky and ohio are concerned you are for the most part, in sedimentary geology with these states. With exception of a few localized anomalous mineralized spots within each state. Such as Halls Gap Kentucky; millerite is found here. It's a nickel sulfide. So minerals such as corundum (ruby and sapphire), garnets, and other high aluminous minerals are usually found in metamorphic regions. Now, you might get lucky in the sates of Illinois and Ohio and possibly northern Kentucky with such high aluminous minerals and possibly diamonds and other precious minerals and elements, due to the glaciers migrating to the south from Canada. But Very little is found from glacial deposits of these minerals. But people do get lucky.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you,
Brian T. Booth

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions