Quartz?

OldScout

Jun 19, 2014
Southwest Ohio, Indiana, KY area
Detector(s) used
Magnifying glass
Primary Interest:
Other
Definitely a novice here. I appreciate all help. I found these over a few hours searching. One thing these have in common verses all the other rocks I find is that these allow light to pass through them when a light is below. Does that mean they are quartz? It is interesting...some look like regular rocks, but when held to the light they illuminate. Is there a way to cut in or sand away a small portion to see inside? Should the inside be clearer than the beaten up outside? This is very exciting. Clear quartz is never to be found here. Ohio-Indiana area. Thank you!

The first picture is an example of an led under the rock in the dark. The second is all the rocks I found that allow light to enter them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    812.8 KB · Views: 77

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Again, as with your other post.. river rocks are very hard to identify based on the dull appearance.. thou 9 out of 10 when you think its quartz.. it is because 80% of the world is made up several varieties of quartz etc.. However I would suggest that in the first image one move away from using yellow tented bulbs and steer towards filtered but natural sunlight or the true white bulbs which cast a positive glow on the subject.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

OldScout

Jun 19, 2014
Southwest Ohio, Indiana, KY area
Detector(s) used
Magnifying glass
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you again. Unfortunately it seems all I have the opportunity to find is river rock.

Although finding something of value would be great, I enjoy it just as much, finding a clear rock in the river bank or a stone with unique coloration.

Actually, that is not a yellow light. It is a bright white led. When the white led is placed under the rock, it turns the rock yellow. It looks about the same in person as the photo/colors are portrayed accurately in the photo.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should try tumbling the stones. That would bring out the details nicely. What I can see is mostly milky quartz and possibly some banded. Clear quartz is probably in your area but due to the nature of erosion in water flows will usually break up and what survives will be very opaque and hard to discern among the other stones.
Another type of light you might want to pick up is a portable black light get the shortwave type. Quartz will glow green and if you take it down to the river you might find other interesting pieces as well ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread