Metal in a rock?

OldScout

Jun 19, 2014
Southwest Ohio, Indiana, KY area
Detector(s) used
Magnifying glass
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this at the river yesterday. I can't figure out what these bumps in the rock are. They are very un-characteristic for rocks here. Actually have never seen anything else in the rivers I search like it. They are in the rock. Please see photos. The irregularities are about the size of a penny each. Bumpy. The bumps should have easily eroded in this river.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 69

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found hematite that conformed to the rock it was on & then it was covered with that same rock. Looks like the kind u have in your pic. I am trying to find the piece so you can see what it looks like.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inclusions like the ones shown are usually concentrations of other minerals that formed as the host rock formed. What you have appears to be pretty high in silicates but I cant tell if its vitrified sandstone or a form of quartzite though the layering is suggestive of a sedimentary formation. The nodules maybe some form of ferrous mineral, like hematite, that formed just prior to being locked into the host rock. I'm just guessing because of the reddish coloration however the nobby look of the nodules might also be chalcedony nodules that were forming when the host rock set around them.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread