I.D. Help Please

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
This rock was in a box lot I won at an auction. I didn't see it until I got home and my 8 year old son found it.

I have no idea what it is. Here are a few pics, some are magnified. Thank you!

image-22358313.jpg

image-3737507595.jpg

image-1504159446.jpg

image-418270390.jpg

image-2368468141.jpg

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
In the immortal words of Charlie Brown: "All I got is a rock" via the Halloween special.. But you have a rock.. with holes that might have contained bronze, brass maybe even gold.. I believe and judging by the appearance.. these are not man made holes. But that something was in them and someone forcible removed what ever it was.. I'd even go as far as to say.. maybe this rock was painted at one time and the gold paint is whats left within the holes.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
hunts with son

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
In the immortal words of Charlie Brown: "All I got is a rock" via the Halloween special.. But you have a rock.. with holes that might have contained bronze, brass maybe even gold.. I believe and judging by the appearance.. these are not man made holes. But that something was in them and someone forcible removed what ever it was.. I'd even go as far as to say.. maybe this rock was painted at one time and the gold paint is whats left within the holes.

Love that special, grew up watching the peanuts!
Thanks for the info

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the holes were made by water dripping on it.I have seen granite steps in 300 year old houses with similar holes,the holes in the steps were made by water dripping on them.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Likely cavities left when something softer then the black rock eroded away. (likely the yellowish stuff we see)

Try and see if you can scratch one the the "balls" with a knife - preferably somewhere not to easily noticeable.
Check under magnification for the scratch. If you scratch it - chalcopyrite if not - pyrite. That's my guess.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
hunts with son

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I tried scratching it and it was less crystal like, actually softer and a small piece broke off. Still not sure what the heck it is. Into my sons rock collection it goes!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread